Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple opt. question with ONLY ONE BIG comment box !

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #105904 by user38295_d
Dear all,

I am new to the forum and I thank you very much in advance for your help.

On a survey i am currently building for my PhD sociological research, I am trying to ask a multiple choice question with solely one big comment box (and not a small one for each answer modality as it is by default programmed).

I am using the Vallendar design and must say have been lacking experience in order for me to be able to modify the css/js code of the template.

Looking forward to reading your responses.

Sincerely,

ASDLR.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by user38295_d.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 7 months ago #105906 by holch
Here are the different question types available directly in Limesurvey.

www.limesurvey.org/manual/Question_types

As you have already noticed, you don't have a question type "multipe choice with one big comment field". There is one "list with comment", which is what you are probably looking for, but as multiple choice.

What I would do now is to create two questions: one multiple choice and one long free text. Then I would try to hide the question for the long free text via CSS. I guess this is the easiest way to achive what you want.

Help us to help you!
  • Provide your LS version and where it is installed (own server, uni/employer, SaaS hosting, etc.).
  • Always provide a LSS file (not LSQ or LSG).
Note: I answer at this forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #106082 by user38295_d
Dear Holch, thanks for your response.

Any way you could help me out with the css modification procedure ? It is not my forte, i must admit.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by user38295_d.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 6 months ago #106083 by holch
This depends very much on the template you are using and the way you want it to look. Do you have a 'mockup' that shows how the questions looks like/should look like?

Help us to help you!
  • Provide your LS version and where it is installed (own server, uni/employer, SaaS hosting, etc.).
  • Always provide a LSS file (not LSQ or LSG).
Note: I answer at this forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 6 months ago #106089 by DenisChenu
Hi,

Q1: multi check box
Q2: long text question

Some css and/or js to put Q2 rigth of Q1.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. - Professional support - Plugins, theme and development .
I don't answer to private message.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 6 months ago #106093 by tpartner
To expand on Denis' suggestion...

1) Place a long-text question directly after the multiple-options question

2) Set up your survey to use JavaScript .

3) Add the following script to the source of the multiple-options question.

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> $(document).ready(function() { // Identify the questions var thisQuestion = $('#question{QID}'); var nextQuestion = $(thisQuestion).nextAll('.text-long:eq(0)'); // Hide the long-text question $(nextQuestion).hide(); // Move the textarea $('ul.subquestions-list', thisQuestion).after($('textarea', nextQuestion)); // Some styling $('ul.subquestions-list', thisQuestion).css({ 'width':'50%', 'float':'left' }); $('textarea', thisQuestion).css({ 'float':'right' }); }); </script>



Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 6 months ago #106096 by user38295_d
Wonderful tpartner ! It worked like a charm.

I definitely will consider donating to help you guys out (though a PhD student in sociology ain't, by definition, very rich).

Thanks again!
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: tpartner, holch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose