Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Filter statistics in multiple choice to only display "Other" responses

More
1 month 6 days ago #266782 by GaryO
Please help us help you and fill in where relevant:
LimeSurvey version: Version 6.3.7+231127 
Own server or LimeSurvey Cloud: Own Server
Survey theme/template: N/A
================== 

Attachment not found

Hey all,

I am relatively new to LimeSurvey. Currently, I'm reviewing statistics, and would like to filter the responses only to display answers selected "Other"/

Example:
I have a question from an OKR survey "Which department do you belong to?" and a lot of responses are 'other'. However, I seem to be only able to see the listed departments in the filter under 'Statistics'

Expected Behavior:
I want to filter the results for everyone who selected 'Other' as their response only, and not the rest of the results.

Could you advise on how this is done?

Thanks,
Gary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 month 6 days ago #266795 by holch

Version 6.3.7+231127

Not that this will solve your problem, but first things first: You are using a version of Limesurvey that has been released in November 2023, so this installation hasn't recevied any update, bug fix, security patch for almost a year now. I highly recommend to update to the latest version of LS6.x.

Now to your "problem": I don't think this is implemented in Limesurvey, also because this statitics feature is rather a help to follow the fieldwork progress than a full fledged analysis solution.

This being said, I have the impression that you are trying to use the Limesurvey reporting tool for analysis of results. I would suggest to use a proper tool that is better suited (SPSS/PSPP, spreadsheet software, JASP, etc).

I think the "other" responses you can only display as a list of answers, not as an item itself. This is not ideal, but the "other" item has traditionally been treated a bit differently then other items in Limesurvey. This is probably still a historical weight it is carrying.

Solution for the future (as I understand your server is/was already in the field, so you can't do much about this anymore): You could create your own "other" solution by not using the other feature of the question, but rather create your own "other" answer item as if it would be a "normal" answer item like the others and then create an open ended question with the condition that they have answered the item "other" in the previous question. Then you should be able to filter for the "other" option.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: tpartnerholch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose