Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Add multiple language variants

• tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
1 month 1 week ago #266369 by tammo
Add multiple language variants was created by tammo
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 6.6
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: own
Survey theme/template: not relevant
==================
I received a question where someone for a study want to ask quetions in these language variants:

UK English
US English
Canada English
Canada French
Belgium French
Belgium Dutch
The Netherlands Dutch
Spain Spanish
US Spanish
Italy Italian
Germany German

I guess the feedback texts for similar languages (Canada French and Belgium French) can stay the same, but the question texts may differ because some medical texts that differ per country/region will be used. How can I construct a survey with these languages?

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 month 1 week ago #266370 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Add multiple language variants
I guess you are referring to languages that do not exist or are not separate in Limesurvey.

But you can always create 'your own' languages. E.g. US vs UK English, you can make a copy of English and create one that is US (or UK), for Belgium French make a copy of French, for Belgium Dutch make a copy of dutch.

However, how we did this back in the day for big international studies, we usually skipped the multilanguage features of the survey tool (not Limesurvey), but rather created separate surveys, because it is often not just the language, but sometimes slightly different questions or answer options. This is the most flexible option. Create one survey per country / language.

But for example for Belgium, despite the two languages, they health system should be the same, so you could have one survey with dutch and french for Belgium. Same for Canada.

So depending on how different the questions and answer options between countries are, I would probably go for 1 survey per country.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tammo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: tpartnerholch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose