Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

A Longitudinal Survey with updateTokenByResponse

• free521521521
  • free521521521's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 week 2 days ago #261241 by free521521521
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [6.5.4+240422]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Self-host
Survey theme/template: Fruity
==================
I am trying to setup a longitudinal survey with plugin updateTokenByResponse, I have several questions about how to use it, most of them related to how to use the plugin. I have tried to send the invitation to the participants at the initial survey(1st time survey).  but I am quite confuse about the coming survey after the first round.
1. I tried to reset the "uses left" to a number other than 2. But I could not send the invitation for the second time, so I reset the Invitation sent to No. Then it worked. 
2. I tried "iterate survey" function in the responses tab, it works for sending the invitation for the second time, Then it worked. I think this is right way for longitudinal survey, am I right?
3. Then how does the updateTokenByResponse works? I see many blank forms on the plugin settings page. However, I did not find the tutorials for this plugin. Anyone can help??

Thanks!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 week 2 days ago #261245 by Joffm
Hi,

I think this is right way for longitudinal survey, am I right?

As you read in the manual

In certain scenarios you may want to have a recurring survey - using the same survey structure for the same set of participants to compare the previous responses of one participant to those submitted at different times.

I see many blank forms on the plugin settings page.

Yes you see something like this

And update the resp. field with the same procedure you display given responses in your survey, with ExpressionScript, like {Q1}

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• free521521521
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 week 2 days ago #261253 by free521521521
Replied by free521521521 on topic A Longitudinal Survey with updateTokenByResponse
Thank you so much for the quickly reply!

But it is really hard to me to understand the method to use this plugin, I think I need more help through a step-by-step tutorial, or we have a vide intro for that?

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

• DenisChenu
More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #261256 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic A Longitudinal Survey with updateTokenByResponse
updateTokenByResponse do only ONE thing : update token attribute values by response done when survey is submitted.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by DenisChenu.

• free521521521
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 week 2 days ago #261391 by free521521521
Replied by free521521521 on topic A Longitudinal Survey with updateTokenByResponse
After one whole day of testing, I still can not figure out how to use updateTokenByResponse.
Many information told me to enter the Survey ID, but I can not find it. All the information is old-time fashion; they may be out-of-date.
I really wish there was a tutorial for "updateTokenByResponse." I hope all the researchers who need this function can use it smoothly.
LimeSurvey is a great programme. All the plugins make it even better.

• holch
More
1 week 1 day ago #261394 by holch
Lets assume you have a token field "first name". As you can see in Joffm's screenshot, this would be "Vorname".

Now you can pipe this first name into your survey and use it, by something like "TOKEN:FIRSTNAME" (see manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Access_to_Variables ).

Now you can use this as a default value in a question, lets call it 'firstname' (via {TOKEN:FIRSTNAME}.

What this does is showing hte First name that you have in your token table in the question with them name Firstname. You can then ask the respondent if this is correct or if not to correct it.

And then you can use the "updateTokenByResponse" plugin to update your token table, by substituting the first name stored in the token table by the answer to the question "firstname".

So if the respondent doesn't change anything, the same name as before is in the token table. If they correct it, the token table will have the corrected first name. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you think too complicated. It is actually quite simple.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #261507 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic A Longitudinal Survey with updateTokenByResponse

After one whole day of testing, I still can not figure out how to use updateTokenByResponse.

Really ????
Just click on Menu !

> Many information told me to enter the Survey ID, but I can not find it. All the information is old-time fashion; they may be out-of-date.

Where you have this information ? By ChatGPT ?

> I really wish there was a tutorial for "updateTokenByResponse." I hope all the researchers who need this function can use it smoothly.

I appreciate having contribution, please create this manual…
I accept donation (or via liberapay or opencollective ) and can offer professional support

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by DenisChenu.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose