Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to score the higher value in multiple choice questions in an equation

• Episteme Investigación e Intervención Social
  • Episteme Investigación e Intervención Social's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 months 2 days ago - 8 months 2 days ago #246091 by Episteme Investigación e Intervención Social
How to score the higher value in multiple choice questions in an equation was created by Episteme Investigación e Intervención Social
Hi Lime Comunity,

I have a question about how to make an equation. I have a scale that needs to be scored as it follows: For each item, add the highest weight selected. If more than one answer is selected, use the highest. Sum all the items.
I don't know how to make the equation to select just to sum the highest value of each question.

Also I can't select the survey as valoration so I don't have the possibility of having same values for different answers as this:

instead of this, for example: 

I attached the .LSS with some question examples of the scale.

File Attachment:

File Name: 546391_ADI...25-2.lss
File Size:54 KB

Thank you very much!
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Episteme Investigación e Intervención Social.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 months 2 days ago - 8 months 2 days ago #246093 by Joffm
You are using "multiple" question.
So each subquestion can be selected or not. Therefore there is no weighting.

So how do you want to calculate your score?
Of course you can check which subquestions were selected and take the "highest". What is it? The one with the highest subquestion code?
Here an example:

How do you want to calculate?

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Joffm.

• Joffm
More
8 months 2 days ago #246096 by Joffm
If you want to sum the highest subquestion code of each question you can do it in different ways.

1. with the IF function (if the subquestion is selected, the compared value is x else 0. You see x must not match the subquestion code.
{sum(max(if(Q1_1=="Y",1,0),if(Q1_2=="Y",2,0),if(Q1_3=="Y",3,0),if(Q1_4=="Y",4,0),if(Q1_5=="Y",5,0)),max(if(Q2_1=="Y",1,0),if(Q2_2=="Y",2,0),if(Q2_3=="Y",3,0),if(Q2_4=="Y",4,0)),max(if(Q3_1=="Y",1,0), if(Q3_3=="Y",3,0),if(Q3_4=="Y",4,0),if(Q3_5=="Y",5,0),if(Q3_6=="Y",6,0)),Q4.valueNAOK)}

2. More or less the same, but with the function "intval" knowing that "intval(TRUE)" is 1 else 0. Again the used factor must not match the subquestion code.
 {sum(max(1*intval(Q1_1=="Y"),2*intval(Q1_2=="Y"),3*intval(Q1_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q1_4=="Y"),5*intval(Q1_5=="Y")),max(1*intval(Q2_1=="Y"),2*intval(Q2_2=="Y"),3*intval(Q2_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q2_4=="Y")),max(1*intval(Q3_1=="Y"),3*intval(Q3_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q3_4=="Y"),5*intval(Q3_5=="Y"),6*intval(Q3_5=="Y")),Q4.valueNAOK)}

and at last you sum the assessment value of Q4.

You see it is only a little bit of arithmetic and the knowledge of some functions "if", "max", "intval"

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.

• Joffm
More
8 months 1 day ago #246101 by Joffm
Here is a third approach with a nested If without the "max" function.
The idea is: 
Start at the highest code. If the subquestion is selected, fine, you found it.

{sum(if(Q1_5=="Y",5,if(Q1_4=="Y",4,if(Q1_3=="Y",3,if(Q1_2=="Y",2,if(Q1_1=="Y",1,0))))),if(Q2_4=="Y",4,if(Q2_3=="Y",3,if(Q2_2=="Y",2,if(Q2_1=="Y",1,0)))),if(Q3_6=="Y",6,if(Q3_5=="Y",5,if(Q3_4=="Y",4,if(Q3_3=="Y",3,if(Q3_1=="Y",1,0))))),Q4.valueNAOK)}

I hope you found the typo in the previous post
 {sum(max(1*intval(Q1_1=="Y"),2*intval(Q1_2=="Y"),3*intval(Q1_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q1_4=="Y"),5*intval(Q1_5=="Y")),max(1*intval(Q2_1=="Y"),2*intval(Q2_2=="Y"),3*intval(Q2_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q2_4=="Y")),max(1*intval(Q3_1=="Y"),3*intval(Q3_3=="Y"),4*intval(Q3_4=="Y"),5*intval(Q3_5=="Y"),6*intval(Q3_6 =="Y")),Q4.valueNAOK)}

By the way:
Do you want to store this score?
Or only display it to the respondent?
If you want to store it, you have to use a question of type equation (eqScore) (as you did), but remove everything but the formula.
To display it, use a question of type "text display", where you show your text and pipe the calculated score, like

In the previous questions you reached a score of {eqScore}

Volunteers are not paid.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose