Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Change and copy an active survey

• RobMies
  • RobMies's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 3 months ago #244061 by RobMies
Change and copy an active survey was created by RobMies
Dear everyone,
I had an active survey, but it (unfortunately) had to be drastically adjusted. Many questions added etc.
According to the manual I created a new survey, copied the old one there and added the questions there.
Then deactivated the old one and exported the responses and users to the new survey.
It all sounds easy-peasy.
But now comes the problem of the story: of course the URL has now changed, but that is not a disaster, because the main page also leads to the survey.
The login token/code also works. This is nice if you want to fill in a completely new survey.
But.... for those who saved the survey in the meantime (Resume later), it doesn't work.
The steps I take to get it running anyway:
- login with 'old' token,
- click on 'Load unfinished survey' ,
- then you will be asked for name and password that have been entered. When I enter it I get the message: "There is no matching saved response". While (and I'm sure) both name and password are correct. I suspect that they will only depend on the 'old' survey?

Does anyone know how to proceed with uncompleted responses in a modified survey?
Of course I can look in the database to see where there are differences (perhaps the table 'lime_saved_controls'?). I tried to change the column 'sid' to the new survey ID in that table, but to no avail.
I'd love to hear it and thanks in advance for the effort!

Sincerely,
Rob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 3 months ago #244063 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Change and copy an active survey
In my opinion it would have been better to copy zthe survey ... to be an the save side.
And then edit the "old" survey.
This way no surveyID is changed.
That's the way I do it.

But I am not sure what happens in "lime_saved_controls" when you deactivate a survey.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobMies

• RobMies
  • RobMies's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #250051 by RobMies
Replied by RobMies on topic Change and copy an active survey
Dear everyone,

Unfortunately I couldn't find/get an answer to my question, so I dived into it myself.
Found a solution (doesn't deserve a beauty prize, but it works and that's what matters).
To adjust a survey that still has 'current' respondents, you can do the following (I do not give any guarantees of course and is entirely at your own risk!):
- Deactivate the survey and, just to be sure, note the name of the backup table that will be created (which starts with lime_old_survey_<survey-ID_<long number>),
- Open the database where the survey is running. Look up the 4 tables with the names: lime_saved_control (these are the current respondents), lime_survey_<survey_ID> (this contains the answers, can also be retrieved via LimeSurvey itself when reactivating the survey), lime_tokens_<survey-ID> , lime_survey_<survey ID>_timings.
- Export these tables (or a subpart of them, in case of lime_saved_control. Filter there with: SELECT * FROM lime_saved_control where sid=<survey_ID>;
I myself use MySql Workbench and there you can easily export selected records as SQL inserts.
- Good. Everything is secured. Then you can (still to a limited extent, so it is wise to first copy the survey and make changes there and then import the responses from the 'old' survey to see if everything is in its proper place), modify, add questions, etc.
- Reactivate the survey. Import the tables you saved earlier into the database (this can also be done via LimeSurvey itself, it will then ask the respondents for the table name that it mentioned at the very beginning).
- Et voila. Now it should work, including the URLs and passwords that the respondents entered themselves, for resuming later, still work.

Moderators: tpartnerholch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose