Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Set the From address for email notification

• robichon
  • robichon's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 8 months ago #231059 by robichon
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.28.8+220426 Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own server
Survey theme/template: fruity
==================

Hi,

I have just started testing Limeserver and am very impressed with it so far.

I would like to recreate some newsletter/miling list subscription/unsubscription forms that are on our current web site using Limeserver.

These forms currently have two fields: email address and option (subscribe or unsubscribe)

On submission they send an email to our Sympa mailing server on behalf of the submitter with the sender from field using the email provided and the option (subscribe or unsubscribe) in the subject field.

How can I set up the survey in Limeserver to do this?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Best regards
Marie Robichon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 8 months ago #231064 by holch

I would like to recreate some newsletter/miling list subscription/unsubscription forms that are on our current web site using Limeserver.

While I find Limesurvey a terrific OSS software for surveys and you might actually be able to create a newsletter / mailing list form with it, I don't think it is the best tool out there for this purpose. I am sure that there are already OSS tools out there that do all you need for creating a newsletter or mailing list. Like for example www.phplist.org/ or maybe www.mautic.org/ . But now seeing that the mentioned Sympa is an alternative to phplist, I am not sure if I understood your question/problem...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• robichon
  • robichon's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 8 months ago #231070 by robichon
Replied by robichon on topic Set the From address for email notification
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I obviously wasn't clear enough...

The mailing tool that is used in our institute is Sympa. I don't have any alternative and am obliged to use this.

The newsletters are send out using the lists in Sympa. The forms I mentioned on our web site enable people to subscribe and unsubscribe simply via this form without having to go via the Sympa interface (which is only accessible internally).

When someone submits the form it sends an email to sympa@ourinstitute.fr (our mailing server) with the subject "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" and with the senders address as the from address. This fires sympas subscription mechanism.

Currently the form is implemented with a plugin on our CMS. I no longer want to use this plugin (problem of support) and would like to use a link to a limesurvey instead (we have limesurvey installed inhouse under test).

I have set up a limesurvey survey with two questions: email and option and am able to set the subject in the email template with the option selected.

However I do not see how I can set the from address of the email sent to the administrator (which would be configured as sympa@ourinstitute.fr) as the answer entered in the 'email' question.

For the moment our Limesurvey instance is only accessible inhouse so one has to be logged in with an account to be able to access the server. The senders email is therefore set automatically as my own email when I test the survey.

I hope it is clearer now.

Have a nice day
Best regards
Marie

• tpartner
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #231072 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Set the From address for email notification
This us not a good fit for LimeSurvey - it is a data collection tool, not an emailing tool. Without significant modifications, the notification emails will come from the survey or global admin.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by tpartner.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose