Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Way to set minimum numbers in a multiple free text (numeric only) question?

• PaulMRFGR
  • PaulMRFGR's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #218709 by PaulMRFGR
Hi there,

Is there a way to set a minimum number in a multiple free text question? Fields are set to numeric only.

The question is something like:

How long (in minutes) did you spend doing each of the following activities?

Activity 1
Activity 2
Activity 3
Activity 4
etc

Answer for each activity should be at least 30 - we don't want people to enter 5, 6, or anything lower than 30.

Thank you.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 8 months ago #218718 by holch
Why do you use a "multiple free text question set to numeric only" instead of a "multiple numerical input" question?

It is made for numerical input out of the box and it has the option to set a minimum:

manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Multiple_numerical_input

manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Mu...28min_num_value_n.29

Now the general question: What if people really just spend 5 or 6 minutes on the following activities? You force them basically to "lie" (depends of course what the previous questions where, e.g. if you filtered out all that were below 30min already).

Sometimes we researchers make the mistake to force something, which might not be a reality for our respondents. But of course I don't know the previous questions, so this is just a little reminder. If this is taken care of in previous questions, you can ignore that last part. Just thought I might mention it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• PaulMRFGR
  • PaulMRFGR's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #218719 by PaulMRFGR
Hello,

Thanks so much for your response. Let me take a look - I'll change this to a numerical input and hopefully this fixes my problem.

It's already taken care of by the previous question. They're asked to select which activities they spend more than 30min on in a multiple choice, then the next question asks how long (in minutes) they spent on each of the activities they selected. So it should be at least 30 based on their previous answers
  • holch
More
2 years 8 months ago #218721 by holch

It's already taken care of by the previous question. They're asked to select which activities they spend more than 30min on in a multiple choice, then the next question asks how long (in minutes) they spent on each of the activities they selected. So it should be at least 30 based on their previous answers

Makes sense. So you can ignore this second part of my answer. :-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose