Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Modify folder where session files are saved

• agustinface
  • agustinface's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #217443 by agustinface
Modify folder where session files are saved was created by agustinface
Hello, good afternoon community.
See if someone can help me with this please.
I have the latest stable version 3.27.3 installed
My problem is that very heavy session files are generated (some of up to 8 MB) which causes the disk space of my hosting (cPanel) to fill up.
Being a shared hosting I do not have access to the folder where these session files are currently stored and I have to be asking the provider through tickets to do it almost every day manually.
It occurred to me to change the path where they are saved (session.save_path) from the MultiPHP INI Editor of cPanel for another that can be accessed from the file manager but doing so does not allow me to enter the limesurvey admin and when testing any survey I get the warning "your connection time has expired".
I did some tests locally with wamp and I don't have this problem, but the environment is different since wamp runs on windows and my hosting on linux (CentOS).
I do not know if the problem is with my hosting provider or is something that I am doing wrong.
I was checking the forum and I saw this post:
forums.limesurvey.org/forum/installation...folder-configuration
And I tried the code in the last comment to add a path directly in the config.php file but have not succeeded in getting it to work.
I think that for now it would be the best solution since it should not modify anything in the hosting ...
What I would like is that the folder where I save the session variables is not in some subfolder of public_html where I have limesurvey installed if not in another, for example:

current install of lime:

home / public_html / limesurvey /

and I would like to save the variables in:

home / tmp / sessions

Thank you very much for the help you can give me...
The topic has been locked.
More
2 years 10 months ago #217456 by jelo
This question is totally unrelated to LimeSurvey. You don't change anything in LimeSurvey.
Your task is to find a way to change the session path for your php application to a directory in your home folder.

Depending on the cpanel setup, php-fpm is used.
PHP setting can be overridden via a php.ini file, a user.ini file, and a .htaccess file.
www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.file.per-user.php
The default setting in cPanel is session.save_path = "/var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php70" php70 changes with the used php version.

You could try to create a tmpsession folder in your home folder and assign the correct permissions.
In the cpanel file manager ensure that hidden files (beginning with .) are shown. Than check for php.ini,user.ini and .htacess.
In these files you can set the session path.

But the whole thing is a question for the cPanel forum. You don't need to change anything inside LimeSurvey. Beside the session path, the session_timeout is import.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose