Default answer for dropdown list - not getting it to work

More
3 months 1 week ago #217158 by Jean38
Hello,

After trying and comparing things, I couldn't figure out how I can get a simple scenario like the Limiting Max Number of Responses in Survey Using a Hidden Question example.

Basically, I want to reproduce that little example. However, aside from importing it into Limesurvey, I can't figure out how to set up the default value so that the quota increases silently after each submission.

I've tried on 3 different installations, including the demo one. The problem seems to be coming from the 'Edit default answer values', which shows a one-list choice that can't be exploited later on.

This is how it translates (logically) in the web interface:
  • Using the sample provided in the documentation
  • When attempting to re-create that example on a new survey (from the demo site)
The demo instance brings up an error message when loading the question. But I don't understand why.

I don't see any way to correct/ override the default value, which is just a drop-down selection in the web interface.

I am trying to figure out what it is that I am missing... or if I'm hitting a bug?

Tested on 4.4.14 and 4.6.3 with the same results.

I got it working from the sample, but I would love to be able to do this on my own...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #217161 by Joffm
This "value="Quota"... seems to be a bug in version 4.x. I could reproduce in 4.5.0.

Works as expected in 3.x.

But I do not know why a hidden question of type "drop-down" is used.

In my opinion you should use a question of type "equation" which you set to "1"

And the quota definition

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean38

More
3 months 1 week ago #217164 by Jean38
Oh, I didn't realise I could use an Equation for this. I got carried away following previous threads and Limesurvey manual, didn't even think of it as an option.

It's a better and more straightforward alternative, too!

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #217224 by DenisChenu

But I do not know why a hidden question of type "drop-down" is used.

Because in a dropdown : you can have more option than Y/N :)
In 3.X : only dropdown and checkbox are allowed for Quota.

In my opinion you should use a question of type "equation" which you set to "1"

Only in 4 or more ? It work in 4 , great news !

Id previous version work on 3.X but not on 4.X : someone can report the issue ? This can break a lot of survey.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development . I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by DenisChenu.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now