Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Only show x out of X groups (randomly)...DEPENDING on past answers?

• confusedeconomist
  • confusedeconomist's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 week ago #214890 by confusedeconomist
 Hi everyone,

I've been building my survey for the past couple of months and am now stuck on a critical point. 

For my survey I would like to have the following structure (fake survey topic for clarity):

G1
Q1 - do you like bananas? Yes/No
Q2 - do you like apples? Yes/No
Q3 - do you like raspberries? Yes/No
(...and so on until...)
Q10 - do you like peaches? Yes / No
(Note: I cannot make this into an array as each question includes a long description etc. so I do need these to remain separate questions.)

Then, I have 1 follow-up question group per "fruit", which contains various questions:

G2 - follow-up questions about bananas (Q1,Q2,Q3...)
G3 - follow-up questions about apples (Q1,Q2,Q3...)
G4 - follow-up questions about raspberries (Q1,Q2,Q3...)
(...and so on until...)
G11 - follow-up questions about peaches (Q1,Q2,Q3...)

I only want to ask follow-up questions about bananas to people who said they liked bananas i.e. answered "Yes" for bananas (and same for all other fruits).
I've achieved this by using a relevance equation.

MY QUESTION IS:
- I don't want the survey to be too long so I only want people to see 2 FOLLOW-UP GROUPS maximum, out of the total number of fruits they said "Yes" to.
- In other words, I want to randomly pick 2 question groups between (G2;...;G11) for people to answer, but only if they answered "Yes" to the relevant question in G1.
- For example if someone says they like A, B, and C but not D, I want them to be asked about A/B or A/C or B/C but not D.
- Of course, if people only liked 1 or 2 fruits then they should be asked about all the fruits they said yes to. If they liked none of them, skip G2-G11 altogether.
Is this even possible? Let me know if you need more details from me, and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions at all!! 
The topic has been locked.
  • confusedeconomist
More
3 years 1 week ago #214893 by confusedeconomist
PS: I'm thinking a solution might be to "hide" any follow-up question group in excess of 2. Since all my follow-up groups are already in random order, and some may not be relevant to the participant in the first place (if they didn't click "yes" previously for that fruit), I have one idea. It would be to include a relevance equation that says something like: "if out of (Q2;...;Q11), we've already displayed 2 groups, then hide this group". But IDK if/how to do this...
  • confusedeconomist
More
3 years 1 week ago #214894 by confusedeconomist
UPDATE IN CASE ANYONE HAS THE SAME ISSUE:

I found out about a way to resolve my problem!! :-D

I pretty much used the solution outlined in this article: toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-randomly...of-y-question-groups

I just had to adapt it a bit to my own requirements as I have a LOT of different conditions, randomisations, etc. going on and interacting with one another in my survey.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose