Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Combine random groups with random questions

• terryaulenbach
  • terryaulenbach's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 week ago #214658 by terryaulenbach
Combine random groups with random questions was created by terryaulenbach
I don't think this is possible, but Tony and others are wizards, so I'll ask.

I would like to be able to randomly order question groups (say 3) and then randomly select a certain number of questions from each group (say 3 out of 10). I have seen how to do each of these things separately, but don't see a way of combining them. As I understand, in order to select random questions you need to create a second hidden group. So can it then be possible to randomize those 3 sets of 2 groups? I won't even mention the 3rd level of randomization this particular student wanted me to set up.

Thanks for whatever answer you can give me.

Terry
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #214660 by holch
If I understood you right, this should be possible without a problem.

You create 6 groups of questions, of which 2 always include the questions of each logical group and all these questions have the same "randomization group name". The first group, let's call it 1A, will contain 3 out of the 10 questions, the second group 1B will contain the other 7. As they have all the same randomization group name (e.g. RQ1), they will be randomized among each other among the 10 different positions spread of the groups 1A and 1B. After testing, you'll just hide the second group 1B with the 7 questions and out of the logical group of 10 questions only 3 will be shown randomly (through group 1A).

Now you do the same for the other two groups of 10 questions, let's call them 2A, 2B (RQ2), 3A, 3B (RQ3).

If you have done this, you are almost done. At the moment only the groups 1A, 2A and 3A should be shown and within each of these groups the 3 questions are randomly drawn out of a pool of 10 questions each.

Now you give those 3 groups also the same randomization group name, e.g. "RG" and Limesurvey will show the groups 1A, 2A and 3A in randomized order.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by holch.
  • holch
More
3 years 1 week ago #214661 by holch
By the way, you do not need to randomize the groups with the 7 questions in it. As they are hidden, it doesn't matter. But of course you could give all groups the randomization group name "RG".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose