Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Session Expired

• ruytterm
  • ruytterm's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214577 by ruytterm
Session Expired was created by ruytterm
Hi!

I dont know if this is the right category to be posting this, but here we go.
Lately i'm having problem with the survey: The user fill the survey and when they click "submit" they are redirect to a page that says the survey expired.

I've searched here in the forum and on google, but I had no success in finding a solution. Many threads point to a variable called SessionLifeTime (i guess), but, my survey doesn't take 5 minutes to fill and be submited...
Also, the survey was working fine, then started to present this problem, without any modifications on LimeSurvey...
It may be a server problem, I don't know what could be the problem, but when I restart the server, the problem go away for some time...
The LimeSurvey is running on my server, using windows server 2014 and "hosted" by Windows ISS (Internet Information Services)...

Can someone point me to any directions, or anything that I can do to fix this problem, or at least, find the culprit?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214581 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Session Expired

SessionLifeTime (i guess), but, my survey doesn't take 5 minutes to fill and be submited...
Also, the survey was working fine, then started to present this problem, without any modifications on LimeSurvey...
It may be a server problem, I don't know what could be the problem, but when I restart the server, the problem go away for some time...
The LimeSurvey is running on my server, using windows server 2014 and "hosted" by Windows ISS (Internet Information Services)...

Not an expert here, especially not on Windows Server and IIS, but you will need to have a look at where your sessions are stored and what the SessionLifeTime is (you can find that usually in your php.ini.

If you run the server, then you are the admin and will know where to look at.

And as a restart solves the problem for some time, my guess would be that the folder where the sessions are stored runs full, and restarting clears it, maybe.

But as there has been no change to Limesurvey (no update, no change in configurations), in my opinion the problem must be on the server side (update, configurations changed, running out of space, etc.).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ruytterm
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214583 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Session Expired

I recommend to contact the administrator of the server. I wonder what you're using there, cause Microsoft never released a Windows Server 2014.
Without knowing what version of OS, IIS, PHP and LimeSurvey you use, further suggestions will be a wild guess.

Check if the sessions are working.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/application...phpini-file-settings

And a IIS PHP community can be found here:
forums.iis.net/1102.aspx/1?PHP+Community

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214676 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Session Expired

to a page that says the survey expired.

Survey ? Or Session ?

Do you have a screenshot ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • ruytterm
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #214703 by ruytterm
Replied by ruytterm on topic Session Expired
Hi guys!

you will need to have a look at where your sessions are stored and what the SessionLifeTime is

Well, the SessionLifeTime is the default value, I think is 10 hours, I don't know, but my survey has 5 questions, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to be answered.
About where the sessions are stored, I don't know where to look.

my guess would be that the folder where the sessions are stored runs full, and restarting clears it

That seems to be the case. My C drive was almost full, and I think it was related... It's embarrassing that I haven't noticed it before...
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

I recommend to contact the administrator of the server. I wonder what you're using there, cause Microsoft never released a Windows Server 2014.

I am the "administrator" of the server. It was a typo, It's Windows Server 2012. But it seems it all was lack of space on the drive.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Survey ? Or Session ?

Session, sorry. I have some screenshots but its in Portuguese. I don't know if it would be helpful...
​​​​​​​
But, I think now that I've fixed the space issue, I think it1s working again. I'll let it run for some time and see if there is any complaints about it.

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by ruytterm.
  • holch
  • Away
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214705 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Session Expired

Session, sorry. I have some screenshots but its in Portuguese. I don't know if it would be helpful...

Well, even if you don't speak the language, people can often get the idea of what is happening.

E fora disso, aqui também tem pessoal que fala português. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214706 by DenisChenu
No need a screenshot.

LimeSurvey admin part work good ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • ruytterm
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214714 by ruytterm
Replied by ruytterm on topic Session Expired

Well, even if you don't speak the language, people can often get the idea of what is happening.
E fora disso, aqui também tem pessoal que fala português

haha, verdade. Me pegou!

LimeSurvey admin part work good ?

Yes, perfectly.
Even the survey loads normally. Only after clicking submit, that the user is redirect to a new page, and, instead of the "Thank you for your answer page", they get a "Your session expired" error...
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #214727 by DenisChenu

Even the survey loads normally. Only after clicking submit, that the user is redirect to a new page, and, instead of the "Thank you for your answer page", they get a "Your session expired" error...

Why there are a redirect ?

Possible to have the lss ?

More
3 years 1 week ago #214746 by paulfiner
Replied by paulfiner on topic Session Expired
I'm currently running a large survey (about 20 mins) and have been getting complaints from respondents seeing the same i.e. they get a screen saying "We are sorry but your session has expired" right at the end. I'm running v3.25
I don't think disk space is an issue as was reported above but I'll try and check the server for any logs.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 1 week ago #214755 by DenisChenu

I'm currently running a

Why did you think it's related ?

ruytterm seesm to have this issue only when submit.

More
3 years 1 week ago #214757 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Session Expired

I don't think disk space is an issue as was reported above but I'll try and check the server for any logs.

If your environment is not a Windows 2012 server with IIS you might consider opening a new thread with all infos about your hosting environment.
First step is to check the  PHP configuration and find the location of the session files.
There are many reasons why sessions are destroyed. It depends what kind of hosting is used.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose