Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to generate different age groups in the tool?

• JinSakai
  • JinSakai's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #210089 by JinSakai
Hello dear Users,

I currently use LimeSurvey for the first time. I am a japanese student and I am doing a survey for research purposes.

I have created and already received a lot of data and I would like to analyse them.

Therefore I would like to generate age groups i.g. The people between 20-25 had those answers on question X, the people between 35-40 had those answers and so on.

My question in the survey is a Textfield: "How old are you?" and the people are allowed to answer with a number only.

So I have like 50 answers with answers from 20 to 60 years.
Is it possible to filter in limesurvey itself already for something?

I found following filter option before I download the statistic:

"Answers match with following expression": and there is a empty field where I am allowed to set a condition to filter after.

It works perfect to receive only the answers from the 20 years old people but I didnt found out how to create groups with it.

I have tried to set following expressions: 20 to 25 || 20-25 || from 20 to 25 but nothing worked... sadly.

Maybe someone can help.

Best regards

Jin
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 3 months ago #210090 by Joffm
Hi, Jin,

My question in the survey is a Textfield

I assume the question type is "numerical input".
And let's assume the code of the question is "Q1".

Then your relevance equations might be:
Q1.NAOK ge 20 AND Q1.NAOK le 25 -> 20-25
Q1.NAOK ge 26 AND Q1.NAOK le 35 -> 26-35

And to generate age groups you may create a hidden question (list(radio)) with the age groups ("Qagegroup")

1: younger than 20
2: 20-25
3: 26-35
4: 36-45
5: 46-55
6: 56 +

In a following (hidden) equation you set this question according to the numerical input.
{Qagegroup=if(Q1 lt 20,1,if(Q1 le 25,2,if(Q1 le 36,3,if(Q1 le 46,4,if(Q1 le 56,5,6)))))}

You should provide a sample survey as lss export with only these questions.
To be honest I am not sure if I understood everything.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago #210102 by holch
From what I understood, you have already completed fieldwork, and the data is already there.

I would download the whole set of answers and create the age brackets later in the analysis tool.

In Excel you can create an additional column with the age brackets via a formula that checks the age and then writes the respective code for the age group into the column and I am sure that in SPSS you can do something similar.

I personally wouldn't bother with doing this in Limesurvey, now that the data is already collected.

If you would have asked before the fieldwork, you could have included a hidden expression that already notes down the age bracket into the response table.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #210103 by holch
And I have never used the feature to filter before downloading nor do I remember to have ever actually seen it. Maybe a new feature in LS 4.x? What version are you using?

20 to 25 || 20-25 || from 20 to 25

If you wrote this, these are not "expressions". Limesurvey will not understand them.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by holch.
  • JinSakai
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #210110 by JinSakai
@Joffm That didn't worked out. I thought its because I've used different groups so I changed the code to G01Q01 but that didnt worked either.

@holch Yea you understood the case correctly. I already have a completed fieldwork. And I know I am able to that in excel or spss.

But as you can see here in the lime survey manual:
manual.limesurvey.org/Statistics

you are able to do all that in the tool. by setting filters etc. and thats what I really liked to use.

I only wanted to use excel for the diagrams and doing the filtering in lime survey.

and the version is 4.3.29
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by JinSakai.
  • JinSakai
More
3 years 3 months ago #210112 by JinSakai
"By numerical value: you can search the responses that contain a certain numerical value if number-based question types are used."

If I write down 25 here.

Limesurvey will export me all answers where the people answered 25.

And I would like to know if its possible that I receive everyone between 20 and 25.
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago #210118 by holch
I find it so much easier to do the filtering in Excel! You just filter the value in the column and only have those that are in the age range without having to work with several files, etc.

You can use Pivot Tables to make the analysis, so much more convenient. Why work with several data files when you can do it all from one?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose