Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using LimeSurvey as a voting tool during an online digital conference

More
3 years 4 months ago #209739 by ajb
I am aware that LS can be used as a voting tool. My concern: can LS handle a large number of participants, about 100 within a few minutes? In an online meeting, eg. Zoom, voting is started at a given time and participants are requested to start the survey immediately. Will the responses be syncronized and nothing lost? The survey would consist of a single multichoice question and a new survey would be started for each round of voting.
Could hosting resources also cause a problem?
Please also let me know if your response is based on practical experience or on general knowledge of LS.
Many thanks.
Allan
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 4 months ago #209742 by holch
Limesurvey can handle it, the question is more can your server and your local network handle it?

The performance of Limesurvey highly depends on the underlying server and of course the local network.

100 within a few minutes shouldn't be a big deal.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
3 years 4 months ago #209748 by ajb
Thanks for your prompt reply.
What would be the minimal server requirements to handle this? Any idea?
Local network is the connection that each participant is using, correct? This is different for everyone, except if the are in the same location and network, correct?
  • holch
  • Away
More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #209752 by holch
hard to say what the minimum requirements are, depends very much on your server configuration, etc. But a good VPS with 8GB+ Ram and SSD should be able to handle this, in my opinion. But I am sure that there are others that have more experience.

Local network because I somehow thought this would be a meeting with people present. But you mentioned a Zoom meeting.
In this case it is important to know how your server is connected to the internet. The connection of each one should be no problem, because it is just them. But 100 connections to a survey shouldn't be a big deal either.

But, not sure if there are not better tools for voting than a survey tool. But I have no idea.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by holch.
More
3 years 4 months ago #209759 by ajb

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose