Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Two-language survey and customized "other"-field

• Jmantysalo
  • Jmantysalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205232 by Jmantysalo
At manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Li...ther_replace_text.29 it says "- - this question attribute should only be used in single-language surveys - -" for customized "other"-text in radio button -type question. Hence I tried {if (SURVEYLANGUAGE=='fi', "Jotain aivan muuta", "Something totally different")} but I got just "Jotain aivan muuta" or "Other", not "Something totally different". Why so?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 7 months ago #205239 by holch

for customized "other"-text in radio button -type question

But in Limesurvey there is already a feature to "rename" other. If the other option is activated in a question of the type "List (Radio", then you get the option to provide alternative wording for "other" for each of the languages (under "Display"):

Or am I getting wrong what you are trying to do?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205241 by Jmantysalo
Replied by Jmantysalo on topic Two-language survey and customized "other"-field
Duh. In the LS version 3 it works, but in the LS version 4 there is only one string for all languages.
More
3 years 7 months ago #205243 by jelo

Jmantysalo wrote: Duh. In the LS version 3 it works, but in the LS version 4 there is only one string for all languages.

Correct, that is one of the reasons to not switch to LS4 for productive work.

The whole multi-language handling show bugs.
E.g. bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=16368

You can submit a bugreport.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #205244 by holch

Duh. In the LS version 3 it works, but in the LS version 4 there is only one string for all languages.

Duh. these bugs/issues are the reason why we do not recommend LS 4 for productive use yet.

And: You are not mentioning the version you are using anywhere in this post. I can't smell it...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205248 by Jmantysalo

holch wrote: And: You are not mentioning the version you are using anywhere in this post. I can't smell it...

Yes, my bad.

About LS3: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_roadmap says "LimeSurvey 3 will be supported as LTS until the end of 2020." and there are not many months left.
  • tpartner
More
3 years 7 months ago #205251 by tpartner
I suspect that will be extended - I doubt LS4 will be ready this year.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jmantysalo
  • holch
More
3 years 7 months ago #205256 by holch

About LS3: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_roadmap says "LimeSurvey 3 will be supported as LTS until the end of 2020." and there are not many months left.

I highly doubt that this roadmap is up to date. I think this was before the disaster of LS4 became clear.

I would not expect LS 4 to be ready for production in 2020, just like Tpartner. My guess would be that LS 3.x will be supported until mid 2021 (but take this what it is: a guess!). Obviously LS 3.x will not receive any new features, but if there are major bugs (which should not be the case) or security issues, I am sure these will be applied.

There are just too many issues with LS 4.x (e.g. wasn't it you that discovered that many strings in LS can't be translated at all because they are not in the language files?). I don't see all these pretty considerable issues fixed until the end of the year.

More
3 years 7 months ago #205259 by jelo
I asked Carsten a few days ago.

LimeSurvey 3.0 - LTS Version - CE support at least until end of 2020; LimeSurvey Professional support at least until end of 2021

Please check here:
account.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/...ey-version-lifecycle

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205260 by Jmantysalo

holch wrote:

I highly doubt that this roadmap is up to date. I think this was before the disaster of LS4 became clear.

There are just too many issues with LS 4.x (e.g. wasn't it you that discovered that many strings in LS can't be translated at all because they are not in the language files?).

Actually that was independently discovered by several people (including me). That's why I wonder how the bug was made in the first place.

Anyways, too late for me now... 271 surveys (104 active) and 514 users on a LS4-installation. So maybe I'll try to write some lines of code myself to correct at least some of the bugs.
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205263 by Jmantysalo

jelo wrote: Please check here:
account.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/...ey-version-lifecycle

OK, thanks for that link.

It seems that {SURVEYLANGUAGE} is broken in some strange way. Or why I can make a question text "Hi, you are using {SURVEYLANGUAGE} to fill this survey - -", but {if(SURVEYLANGUAGE=='fi',...)} does not work?
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #205264 by Jmantysalo
And now, in another installation having version 4.3.14+200826, it works... So something between it and version 4.3.5+200721 has been corrected.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose