Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Button to exit anywhere but save answers

• Jenncr93
  • Jenncr93's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #205168 by Jenncr93
Replied by Jenncr93 on topic Button to exit anywhere but save answers
Hi Denis,

Sorry if I offended you. I am a master's student and my institution is my university. The survey is for my Master's thesis, and I am just trying to make it as good as possible with the limited tools I have at my disposal since I feel it is a very important project in the community that could do a lot of help. I already went to the IT department, they are not that Limesurvey savvy to make the necessary changes by themselves, that's why I am here.

Since I am only a student and do not own the license, the IT department team are the only authorized admins. I only sent the file because Joffm asked me to provide it (at least that is why I understood). But I will for sure ask them to make the changes from the suggestions that you have already given me.
Sorry again, and thank you for your help!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #205169 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Button to exit anywhere but save answers
Hi,
to be honest, I have not the least idea why you'd like to have this option.
If somebody doesn't want to proceed, he either closes the browser (all given answers are saved unless you display your survey "all on one page")
or he selects the link "Exit and clear", where he expresses his will to have removed his given answers.

Well, you can hide this link that somebody can only leave a survey by closing the browser.
And you have to decide in your analysis if you use this responses or not.

Joffm

Anyway, as I said before you may use the startpage.pstpl to include this button.
Using your provided template you see this (with a little bit of css)
This is only the display.
I did not test if it works.

In my opinion each student who feels unhappy with the university's IT department should be able to license the basic version for one or two month (an investment in the future).
With the actual student discount this is really not too much.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Joffm.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 6 months ago #205170 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Button to exit anywhere but save answers
And remove the <button> tag from the "template.css"

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • Jenncr93
  • Jenncr93's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #205171 by Jenncr93
Replied by Jenncr93 on topic Button to exit anywhere but save answers
Thank you very much Joffm for your suggestions. I think it would be a good idea to get a license to be honest.

To answer you, here are some of my ideas behind the button (maybe my reasoning is wrong):

1. If the participants were overwhelmed with the survey but felt that they still wanted to contribute to the research, they could leave with certainty that they had actually contributed (from a psychological perspective more so).

2. I want the answers to appear as "completed" when I am filtering the answers since many of the surveys that would be incomplete could still be being completed (many participants could still end up changing their answers before they actually submit). Without such button, there would be no way to distinguish between the participants that actually wanted to submit their survey incomplete from those who are still completing. All of this is if I want to do preliminary analyses before closing the survey (which is the case most of the time).

3. From an ethical stance, even if they agree to participant at the beginning, they still push the button at the end which gives us the ultimate permission to use their answers, I want that confirmation if participants want to submit it incomplete. Gives me more arguments/justifications for when I have to defend my methods (committee, publications, etc) if I end up analyzing those incomplete surveys.

That's it. Not the end of the world if not possible, just trying my best :)

Thank you again for everything,

Jennifer

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose