Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

conditional Matrix questions

• xibit12
  • xibit12's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #203256 by xibit12
conditional Matrix questions was created by xibit12
I would like to implement an extensive matrix with conditions. Basically the matrix should look like the attached photo. The first column should contain a statement that can be rejected or agreed to in the 2nd and 3rd column. In case of agreement ("Ja ->"), further matrix columns should appear, which represent two additional items/questions.
What do you think? Is such a matrix possible?
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by xibit12.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 8 months ago #203260 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic conditional Matrix questions
Seems to be the typical try to transform a paper-pencil questionnaire to an online survey.

In my opinion the best is to split the question.
Ask your first "Yes/No" question in a question of type multiple
and the rest in an array(dual scale) with matrix filter of Q1.

And you may style to your needs,
like diferent colors or borders in the dual array, less space between the questions.
About both you find posts here within the last week, maybe two.

As you see, with only these two questions there abr many breaks in the headers.
So you may consider the solution of an array(text) with three columns where you insert dropdowns with your answer options.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
3 years 8 months ago #203269 by holch
Replied by holch on topic conditional Matrix questions
I agree totally with Joffm here.

The table from the paper questionnaire is somehow necessary, because on paper you can't filter the following answer options.

You need to free yourself (and the team) from the paper restrictions. Also, such a matrix is horrible on small screens like smart phones, which become more and more important.

If you want to reach consumers, mobile first thinking is extremely important. I see this every day, even if we tell people they need to do the research on a computer, because it is not possible on a smartphone, you will always see some that try it anyway, because it is just natural to them.

Many households don't even own a computer anymore. Or the computer is so old and not updated. In some countries the mobile participation in any research is already far higher than on computers. We need to adapt as researchers or we have a problem.

If we exclude a big portion of our sample, we might include very strong bias into our data.

So I only can recommend to not stick to old paper designs, but embrace the new possibilities that digital is offering.

I would rather go for a couple of shorter questions than one big monster. My experience in online (aprox. 16 years now) has shown that there are certain question types that drive dropouts. Big matrix questions are one of them.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose