Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Storing URL parameter fails

• tdevalk
  • tdevalk's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202921 by tdevalk
Storing URL parameter fails was created by tdevalk
Hi all,

I've a limesurvey that can be accessed from a link: questions.socsci.ru.nl/index.php/xxxxx?l...07%&dummy=limesurvey , where xxxxx stands for the unique survey number. The first question of this limesurvey is a hidden short free text question. Using panel integration, I tried to match the URL parameter id with the hidden question. However, when I activate the survey and check the responses, the value for the hidden question is 00000, not 00007. What is going wrong? I need the id value afterwards, so it needs to be correct.

Thank you very much!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #202922 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Storing URL parameter fails
First of all, why does the ID have "%" around it? This might be the first problem. What is the variable "&dummy=limesurvey" and does panel integration work with this?

And how does the setting of your parameter look like?

Without seeing a LSS file of only the relevant questions, it will be difficult to understand what is going wrong.

the value for the hidden question is 00000, not 00007

This looks weird. Because either the panel integration it works, then it should say 00007, or it doesn, then it should be empty. So obviously Limesurvey is getting something from your URL, I guess.

Are you sure it is 00000 (so LS takes the 7 and converts it into a 0) or not actually 0000 (so the 7 is cut off)?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by holch.
  • tdevalk
  • tdevalk's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202943 by tdevalk
Replied by tdevalk on topic Storing URL parameter fails
The id=%00007% is because of the way Sona, the program that is used to gain participants, suggests linking Sona to limesurvey. But it could be that I misunderstood their instructions. ( www.sona-systems.com/help/limesurvey.aspx )
I added the dummy=limesurvey such that sona recognizes that the link is to a limesurvey, it does not do so automatically for this questions.socsci.ru.nl domain.

Indeed, the panel integration does seem to do something. The answer assigned to the hidden question (called 'hidden') is truly 00000.
  • tpartner
More
3 years 9 months ago #202947 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Storing URL parameter fails
Try using the question code directly instead of relying on the panel integration feature.

Code:
https://yourServer.nl/index.php/xxxxx?lang=nl&hidden=00007

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Joffm
More
3 years 9 months ago #202951 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Storing URL parameter fails

But it could be that I misunderstood their instructions.

Yes, I think so.
Sona says;
Code:
http://limesurvey.yourschool.edu/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=/651365&/lang-en&id=%SURVEY_CODE%

They seem to use the surrounding "%" to indicate this as a placeholder which has to be replaced by the survey code, as LS uses curly brackets, Nebu uses "<%"

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
3 years 9 months ago #202979 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Storing URL parameter fails
I see it like Joffm: the

On your Sona Systems site, change the Study URL so it includes &id=%SURVEY_CODE% in the URL. So if the LimeSurvey URL is:
limesurvey.yourschool.edu/index.php?r=su...sid=/651365&/lang-en
then change it to
limesurvey.yourschool.edu/index.php?r=su...-en&id=%SURVEY_CODE%

%SURVEY_CODE% seems to be a placeholder for Sona to put the code automatically (don't know anything about Sona though).

What happens if you use this URL to test the panel integration:
Code:
https://questions.socsci.ru.nl/index.php/xxxxx?lang=nl&amp;id=00007

Just to see what is stored in the hidden question.

And it would be great if you could create a copy of your survey, throw everything out that is not necessary (basically only leave the hidden question) and export it as LSS and post it here so we can have a look and test.

By the way, what version of LS are you using?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose