Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Dynamic survey variants through parameters passing data to add/modify questions?

• pentzlin
  • pentzlin's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #202779 by pentzlin
Hello. Thank you for letting me ask the following question. It might be a simply one. Or an entertaining challenge. I'm deeply grateful for your ideas and help!

Use case: I'd like to provide a unified feedback-survey to all participants of the various different trainings/e-courses on our platform. It should come with customised questions, depending on the specific training objectives. Ideally, I would send a separate survey to trainers, when they publish a new learning on our platform, asking them to list their learning objectives (n number of #LO). Participants would then get their invite to respond to the feedback-survey, containing a course ID or name to reference the #LOs, or the #LOs of that course directly. The feedback-survey should contain questions (or an array with subquestions) for each #LO (e.g.: "On a scale of 1 to 10, how confident do you feel doing the following: #LO").

So, what I need is something “dynamic” that customises a template survey "on the fly", so I can always use the same standard survey, but referencing different answers from a different survey in (sub)questions, e.g. by using URL parameters.

Here the more specific questions:
  1. I know that SGQA can pass answers from other questions of the same respondent in the same survey. Is there also a way to pass the answers of a respondent to one survey (the trainer-survey) to another survey (the feedback-survey), taken by another respondent?
  2. URL_fields seem to be for pre-populating answer fields of a survey (via GET URL parameters), but not question names (titles or IDs). Is there a way to use parameters to set, create, edit or modify questions (or better: subquestions of array-type questions)?
  3. Is there a way to program placeholders for subquestions, especially if the number of subquestions is not known? Or could this be solved by passing parameters to the survey Logic (hiding or skipping questions)?

This is what I found elsewhere (but I'm somewhat restricted in the tools I can use, as we work with LimeSurvey): Segmanta seems to allow passing data (like Limesurvey), but also to keywords in texts (any texts, including overall question texts, but with the exception of subquestion texts. This could be at least a workaround, it even seems that I could offer an open “n” number of inputs (learning objectives) and then pass through empty fields (nil) and filter out (ie. not show or skip) questions related to non-existing inputs (e.g. if I offer 10 entries for learning objectives, and the trainer fills in 3, I would pass 7 times (nil) though the URL, for which I add Logic rules to skip the respective questions.

I'm very much looking forward to your replies!
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by pentzlin.
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose