Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Accessing Expression Manager-variables dynamically

• Hananami
  • Hananami's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202683 by Hananami
Hello forum,

I am currently trying to enable a dataflow between limesurvey and our database and vice versa.
Inside the database we have a table, from where I determine which questions are to be asked and create an array of
the Question- Codes (for example questions_array = ["Q1","Q2_A1","Q4"]).

With this array loaded to the survey, I would like to
1) hide those (sub-)questions not in the array and
2) Get an array of the answers for these questions at the end of the survey

Here I face multiple problems for which I have not found a satisfactory answer yet:

--> for 1) For hiding questions in a group that are not in the questions_array, I need to get the codes of the questions in this group. I would next check, whether some are not in the questions_array and then hide the corresponding question-div. [The code would be written inside the group-description]

something like:
Code:

questions_array = /*..questions to be done, load from database..*/
question_codes_in_group = /*.. somehow get the question-codes of the questions in this group..*/
question_sgqa_in_group= /*..somehow get the SGQA of the questions in this group..*/
num_questions_in_group = questions_codes_in_group.length;

for(i=1; i<num_questions_in_group; i++)
{
    if(!questions_array.includes(questions_group[i]))
    {
         //Question not to be asked
         $("#question"+question_sgqa_in_group[i]).hide();

//-->when matrix??
         $("#javatbd"+question_sgqa_in_group[i]).hide();
    }
}

I know the question_codes_in_group and question_sgqa_in_group could be hardcoded into the survey, but I thought of it as redundant and a bit dirty.

--> for 2) Is there a way to get the answers from the EM via the variable name stored in a string?
I know that this following code does not work, but it is essentially what I want to do (at the very end of the survey):
Code:

questions_array = /*..questions to be done, load from database..*/

for(i=1; i<num_questions; i++)
{
    answer_array[i] = {questions_array[i]};
}

/*... upload answer_array to database..*/

Is there maybe a way to gain access to the EM-Variables via functions or any other way?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 9 months ago #202687 by tpartner
I don't see a way to do this. Expression Manager variables are rendered server-side and cannot be rendered dynamically client-side.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #202712 by DenisChenu

tpartner wrote: I don't see a way to do this. Expression Manager variables are rendered server-side and cannot be rendered dynamically client-side.

Right,

In 4.X (sorry … can't add this feature in 3.X …) : you can use manual.limesurvey.org/SetVariableExpressionEnd event.

In 3.X : get inspiration by hacking Expression Manager (create yourself the session) : gitlab.com/SondagesPro/SurveyAccess/part...nSurveyFill.php#L410

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hananami
  • Hananami
  • Hananami's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202783 by Hananami
Thank you for the answer. Since I need a quick fix for now, I will go with hardcoding the IDs into the survey but might come back to this idea later on.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose