Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Import responses from old survey with slightly different structure - Error

• LauraBaik
  • LauraBaik's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202570 by LauraBaik
I want to import some responses from an old survey into a new active survey. The old survey has a slightly different structure, but approx. 60-70% of the questions / question codes are identical. The idea was to use the new survey structure, map the responses to questions that are identical, keep the other ones empty and import these to the new survey using the "Import a VV survey file" function.

Basically, I export the responses from the new survey to obtain the new structure. I open this file in Excel and manipulate it by mapping the responses from the old survey, save as text file and import into Limesurvey. I did try to manipulate the VV export file directly as well as response files in csv or xlsx format with question codes in the first row (always saved as text file in the end). The import does not work with any of the approaches and I obtain errors that are hard to encode (see the attachment). The errors point to issues with decimal value and string length, but I am puzzled where and why because this is how it was exported from Limesurvey in the first place.

I tried different variations of the approaches that are described here: manual.limesurvey.org/Problems_%26_solutions
and manual.limesurvey.org/Import_responses

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose