Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Custom question type

• AuPath
  • AuPath's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #198341 by AuPath
Custom question type was created by AuPath
Hello, i'm trying to make a survey with only single choice questions.
I would like to ask the user their confidence level on a given answer on a scale from 1 to 10.
So for example:

2+2?

How sure are you of this answer?

I see that there is a question type called (single choice questions) list with comments.
Is it possible to replace the text box with a more intuitive option like a 1-10 scale or number selector?

Or is the best approach to use the comment box and validate the input?
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago #198343 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Custom question type
My opinion : use 2 question …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • AuPath
  • AuPath's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #198345 by AuPath
Replied by AuPath on topic Custom question type
I mean that would duplicate the number of questions, if i had 30 questions i would have 60 total. Also i would prefer to have each question display in it's own page and can't allow the user to go back to previous questions.

A real hack could be to have a question group for each pair of question/answer confidence and display by question group but it's kind of inelegant.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 10 months ago #198354 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Custom question type
Using QuestionTheme

You have some example here : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/master/themes/question

You have to start with this twig file :https://github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/master/application/views/survey/questions/answer/list_with_comment

I didn't see more manual about creating a new theme.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #198358 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Custom question type

A real hack could be to have a question group for each pair of question/answer confidence and display by question group but it's kind of inelegant.

I don't think it is "inelegant". It is how this stuff works. Even if you can get this into the same question, it doesn't make a difference in terms of the length of the survey. People do not care about how many questions they need to answer, but on how long it takes to respond.

So if you have 60 very quick questions, or 30 questions that take a long time (e.g. array questions with a lot of items), it is possible that people find the 30 questions more annoying.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • tpartner
More
3 years 10 months ago #198383 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Custom question type

DenisChenu wrote: Using QuestionTheme

You have some example here : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/master/themes/question

You have to start with this twig file :https://github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/master/application/views/survey/questions/answer/list_with_comment

I didn't see more manual about creating a new theme.

For 4.x, but a lot can be applied to 3.x - manualv4.limesurvey.org/Question_themes

I would use a custom question theme as Denis suggests.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose