Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to do an IP address that can only be accessed once.

• surveySn
  • surveySn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #197316 by surveySn
Hello, everyone.

How to do an IP address that can only be accessed once?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 6 days ago #197356 by holch
Please explain what you are trying to do, because a "throw-away IP address" doesn't make any sense.

If you want to create individual survey links that allow only one participation, then you can use tokens and a closed survey. Make sure the "uses left" is set to "1" for each participant in the participant table (but 1 is the default value anyway). "Uses left" goes down by 1 each time a survey with the specific token is completed. So with the value 1 in "uses left" you guarantee that the link can only be used to complete the survey once. If you set it higher, people can respond the number of times you have set "uses left" to.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it pretty much sounds like it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 day ago #197720 by mrli999
Some users will clear the cookie, and fill the surveys repeatedly.

I don't want them to repeat fill the survey,so I also hope to use IP to prevent repeated participation. Is it possible? Thanks.
  • Joffm
More
4 years 1 day ago #197727 by Joffm

How many do you expect to do this?
They have to know that there is a cookie.

In my opinion that's a minor issue.
And you still may find duplicates by double IP-adresses in the dataset.

And IP address?
Think of a company where all employees have the same IP-address.
If this was possible, only one of the whole company could answer your questionnaire.

And users who really want to fill the questionnaire several times?
They might use a different device, or wait a day to get a different IP-address.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrli999
  • tpartner
More
4 years 1 day ago #197736 by tpartner

holch's suggestion to use tokens has nothing to do with cookies and cannot be circumvented by the respondent.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, mrli999
  • holch
More
4 years 1 day ago #197765 by holch
As Tpartner says, my solution, via token, will give each of your respondents an individual link with an individual ID called "token". By default, these links can only be answered once, as "uses left" is set to 1 by default. Once the respondent completes the survey this value goes down by one and if you started with 1, it will be zero. Which will prevent the link from being usable.

So even if your respondent clears the cache, deletes the cookies, goes do a different browser, formats the computer, burns the house down, moves to a different country, you name it: "uses left" is still zero and Limesurvey will not allow the link to be used a second time.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 day ago #197784 by DenisChenu

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
4 years 1 day ago #197792 by mrli999
I don't want to use token, and will let everybody can fill the survey.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 day ago - 4 years 1 day ago #197804 by holch

I don't want to use token, and will let everybody can fill the survey.

Well, that you could have mentioned before. This is quite an essential information to your request.

I don't see a reliable way to prevent someone that you don't know from participating more than once.

- Cookies can be deleted
- Cache can be cleaned
- IP addresses change.
- etc.

If I really, really want to fill out a survey twice, there are ways to get around basically all possible measures that do not involve token/passwords, even if you would prevent certain IP addresses from taken part more than once (which I think is a bad idea, because in many cases more than one person might be sitting behind the same IP address - more people in the same household, same company, university, etc.).

E.g. even if you limit my participation via IP address, I could take part from home, via mobile phone connection, at work 2x because I have two different internet providers and if I really, really want to fuck your survey up, I can switch off my modem at home and it will get automatically a new IP address. Oh, and I forgot, there is something called VPN...

So there is no way directly in LS to prevent more than one response per IP (which I also consider a bad solution because you exclude students from the same university, employees at the same company and other household members), and it would be a considerable effort to custom code this, I guess.

What you could do is to save the IP address and some other information like Browser version, OS version, etc. to create some kind of digital footprint. Then you could exclude responses that come from the same IP address with the same digital footprint. But this still does not guarantee that one person doesn't participate more than once.

Last edit: 4 years 1 day ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, mrli999, cdorin

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose