Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using a number array with checkboxes to filter another array?

• Vlinou
  • Vlinou's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #197240 by Vlinou
Hi! So I have a 3 question survey that looks like this:

Q1: multiple choice question (with 30 elements...)
Q2: Number array with checkboxes that is filtered by the Q1 answers (i've done that part)
Q3: Number array with checkboxes that is filtered by the Q2 answers (this is the part i'm not sure is possible).

Is it possible? If not, does anyone has a suggestion (other than generating new questions for all the Q3 possibilities and then filtering the questions)?

Thanks!
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Vlinou.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #197244 by holch
This should be doable, but will require a lot of work. Because from what I see, for Q3 you would have to create as many subquestions as you have combinations (in your Q2 you have 4 options vertically multiplied by 13 options horizontally, so a total of 52 subquestions, but from what I see the vertical one might actually have more, if I understand the "..." correctly.

So in Q3 you would have to create a subquestions for each of those combinations and then create show/hide them via the "subquestion relevance equation"checking for each combination something like (not tested and of course depends on the subquestion and answer codes used for every option):
Code:
ASC2041_E1=="Y"

So it is doable, but a little bit of work though.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by holch.
  • Joffm
  • Away
More
4 years 1 week ago #197248 by Joffm

other than generation questions for all the Q3 possibilities and then filtering the questions)?

Of course, what else?

You have to consider that - you have a multipunch question - people may check each option.
Therefore you need as many rows as there are combinations.

You may limit the allowed checks per row in Q2 and use micro-tayloring in Q3.
This would decrease the number of rows from
"number of options in Q1 x columns in Q2"
to
"number of options in Q1 x allowed number of checks per row in Q2"

At the moment I have no idea how to proceed, it is not trivial, and the analysis is much more complicated, because you have to restructure the whole part.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #197250 by holch

other than generation questions for all the Q3 possibilities and then filtering the questions)?

I think this part wasn't there anymore when I saw the question. Or I just overlooked it, which is also a possiblity.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
4 years 1 week ago #197251 by Joffm
I admit: Sometimes I do not see things which are there. But viceversa? Only after a lot of mojitos.

At the end of the text.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #197253 by holch
Hehehe, I was not doubting that it was once there. Which is why I gave two options why I did not see it:
- It was there, but I overlooked it
- Vlinou had edited his post before I responded.

Oh, now I see it. So either I did not see it before, or he added it after my response. In anyway: I don't see a way to do what he/she is trying to do without it.

Wait, I think I actually read it, but differntly. He was asking about not using questions and my solution is with subquestions. So no clash there... ;-)

• Vlinou
More
4 years 1 week ago #197298 by Vlinou
Thanks for your answers.

I know how to show/hide questions, I just wanted to know if it was possible to create a second array based on the answers to the first one.

You see there are 41 possible options in Q1 and 14 in Q2 so i REAALLLYY didn't want to code 500+ questions...
But I guess I don't have a choice!

Thanks!
  • holch
More
4 years 1 week ago #197313 by holch

You see there are 41 possible options in Q1 and 14 in Q2 so i REAALLLYY didn't want to code 500+ questions...

I see no way around it. You can always create those subquestions via a formula in excel and then copy it into the quick add feature. I am not sure if you can also copy the relevance equations together with the subquestions.

But watch out. With 500+ subquestions in just this one question (you are using "question" where you should actually "subquestions", or do you really plan on creating 500+ separate questions for Q5???), you can quickly run into the database limits for columns in your installation.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
4 years 1 week ago #197321 by Joffm
Hi,
as @holch, this will not work.

With 41 subquestions in Q1, 13 (shown) answer option in Q2 you have 533 combinations in Q3.
And if this also is a question of type "array(numbers)" with these shown 6 answer options, you need 3198 columns in the answer table only for this question plus 41 for Q1 and 533 in Q2 -> 3772 columns.
As you may read in the manual or in the MySQL manual there is a restriction.
If you use the InnoDB table scheme there are only 1000 columns possible, with MyIsam about 1570.

To repeat: This limitation is not a LimeSurvey issue, it is MySQL database related.
Well, IF the LS answer table structure was not just a flat file, but used "subtables" for each multipunch question, this wouldn't be a problem.
Yes, IF, IF.

So, you first have to rethink your design.
As I said before:
If you can limit the answers in Q1, Q2.
IMO no one will select all 41 options in Q1. How many do you expect?
And Q2? IMO it is not useful in an analysis, if ALL options are selected. Can you limit to "three main points".
This could decrease the number of needed columns for Q3 to "allowed number Q1 x allowed number Q2 x 6".
Though it still seems to be a lot. And as said before it will be horrible to analyse.

Saying "your design". So do not complain about ;)

REAALLLYY didn't want to code 500+ questions...

Volunteers are not paid.
  • Vlinou
More
4 years 4 days ago #197537 by Vlinou
haha trust me, i'm not the one who decided to use limesurvey for this ;)
I'm trying to convince my boss and client that this is noooooooooot the solution they are looking for!

thanks all for your replies!
  • holch
More
4 years 4 days ago #197543 by holch
I am also a little worried about those who have to fill this form...

If they are paid well, probably no problem, but...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose