Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

A common survey, then a daily updated surveys?

• ahassoun
  • ahassoun's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #197045 by ahassoun
Hello,

I will be using LS to collect information about the daily participation of an [daily] event.

Each participant will fill a basic information questionnaire. Personal information. This has to be submitted once, for every user.

Then, there will be another, daily new, surveys, that are specific to each day - with minor changes to the questions.

That first Profile/Personal survey will be long enough that I don't want to ask each user to submit it every day.

Before users submit the Daily survey, can I check if they submitted the Profile one first? Can I keep track of users who submitted BOTH profiles?

Is this something that can be done directly or with workarounds by LS? With or without user sign up? Without sign up is preferred.

The direct way that I could think of (not aware of LS features) is to have all the questions in one big survey and all users have to submit the whole thing every day.

Any thoughts?

Best reagrds!
The topic has been locked.
  • ahassoun
More
4 years 1 week ago #197046 by ahassoun
Replied by ahassoun on topic A common survey, then a daily updated surveys?
Edit:

`with minor changes to the questions` This requirement can be ignored.

Would it be easier if the questions remain the same but I still need their daily submission as a confirmation to their daily participation?

So Section A (Personal info) is required only once. Then the remaining questions has to be submitted every day despite that they are duplicate.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 week ago #197070 by holch
At the end of the day, your main problem is that you need to be able to connect the different surveys in some way, correct?

Do you have any information about your participants? If so, I would create a token table and invite them to the first survey, with the recurring information of the personal data. Now that you have this information, you might even include these people into the central participant database (CPDB), but I have not enough information on what you are trying to do and also don't use this feature enough to assess if this would help you much.

Now that you have this general data, you have a couple of paths you could go down, all with their own advantages and disadvantages. If you want a rather hands off approach, you could provide them with a link to the next survey at the end message of the survey or even use the End URL feature to redirect them directly to this new questionnaire.

Now, what is important is that you pass some kind of ID from the first questionnaire to the second questionnaire, so you can connect the answers with the personal information. I would create a personalized link that includes the SAVEDID from the first survey and you read it into a hidden text field in the next survey via the panel integration feature. Then you can connect the two surveys via this ID.

If the questions in the following surveys don't change, the personalized link can be used over and over again, if you use an open survey for this.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ahassoun
  • ahassoun
More
4 years 1 week ago #197078 by ahassoun
Thank you, I really appreciate your time writing this detailed answer.

I will familiarize myself first with the basics of LM then I am doing what you suggested. Those daily events may last long... as long as Coronavirus is still there.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 week ago #197079 by holch
But can you / do you want to force your respondents to a daily response or will they remember that they have to fill the survey?

Because if you really NEED a daily response, then I would create daily token based surveys and send them out to the respondents. But it all depends how much time you can put into this on a daily basis.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• ahassoun
More
4 years 1 week ago #197157 by ahassoun
Participants (of the event) must first submit the survey. I publish links to the survey every day, and whoever doesn't submit, is not participating on that particular day.

A quick question (that is not worth opening a new topic for), there doesn't seem to be a way to customize surveys URL, right?

https://domain/index.php/476759

Can I have my own link structure? Like removing index.php and more importantly, writing a name instead of the numeric ID?
  • holch
More
4 years 1 week ago #197160 by holch
No, there is no feature to customize your survey URLs. If it is just to make the links shorter and easier to remember / type into the browser, you could always use .htaccess to create simpler URLs that redirect to the actual survey URL. Once they are in the survey all this disappears anyway, if I recall right.

• tpartner
More
4 years 1 week ago #197163 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic A common survey, then a daily updated surveys?
Writing a name instead of the numeric ID - no, not unless you follow holch's advice.

Removing index.php - yes - manual.limesurvey.org/Optional_settings#URL_settings

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • ahassoun
More
4 years 1 week ago #197263 by ahassoun
Got it, thanks!
  • ahassoun
More
4 years 1 week ago #197306 by ahassoun
Speaking of IDs, I don't get it why I am not able to manually enter an ID number, while the option is there when copying another copy?

I wanted a shorter ID number, so I created a new survey, then copied it, chose the ID, then deleted the original survey :D
  • ahassoun
More
4 years 3 days ago #197523 by ahassoun
Back to this question again :laugh:

So, what I did is to have all questions in one survey. As the responses won't change from day to day.

And then, what I thought of, is a daily RSVP/event registration only.

Person A (who has submitted the Profile survey) will just confirm his daily participation. And I need to keep track of who participated when.

What are your thoughts?
  • holch
More
4 years 3 days ago #197542 by holch

So, what I did is to have all questions in one survey. As the responses won't change from day to day.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? Probably the worst solution. ;-)

At least if I understood right what you are trying to do.

So your respondents will fill out all questions, even the repetitive ones every day? Why did you steer away from the solution with two different surveys?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose