Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Users complete sections of a survey over several days

• ChrisMcD
  • ChrisMcD's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #188761 by ChrisMcD
Is it possible to have a survey which runs for say a week, and user has to complete one section every day. Once they have finished the final section (on the last day) they submit their answers

I see two possible options (maybe I am wrong and these do not provide the functionality I require)

(1) Token based persistence
(2) Save and resume settings

Which would be the best way to go. The users do need need to be anonymised
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by ChrisMcD. Reason: more info
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 7 months ago #188766 by jelo

ChrisMcD wrote: The users do need need to be anonymised

Anonymized in what way?
If you e.g. ask for a name inside the survey, the response is not anonymous.
If you distribute TOKENS by letting people choose them from a pool and exchange them, you have no connection between TOKEN and a person.

I recommend to use tokens and a smart survey design (Sections to be choosen on the beginning of a survey).

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 7 months ago #188767 by holch
You can also use tokens with anonymous surveys. There you can't connect the token with the person it was sent to.

I personally don't like the save and resume function. I don't know why.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ChrisMcD
More
4 years 7 months ago #188768 by ChrisMcD
Hi Jelo,

Thanks for reply.
Apologies that should have read "They do NOT need to be anonymised" since the only data which is remotely personal is age rage (18-24), technical ability.

If however I use Tokens and create a participant table, I will need to add email addresses, to send invitations. In which case, I would need to anonymise ?

Can you explain what you mean by "smart survey design (Sections to be choosen on the beginning of a survey)."

Do you mean its possible to have say a front page where they can click a button and it takes them to a certain section ?

Sorry for basic questions

Thanks
  • holch
More
4 years 7 months ago #188769 by holch

If however I use Tokens and create a participant table, I will need to add email addresses, to send invitations. In which case, I would need to anonymise ?

Well, this is confusing. Does the survey need to be anonymous or not?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
4 years 7 months ago #188771 by jelo

ChrisMcD wrote: If however I use Tokens and create a participant table, I will need to add email addresses, to send invitations. In which case, I would need to anonymise ?

What do you mean by anonymize? What is the scope?
If you send invitations with TOKEN via E-mail you have a connection between E-Mail-recipient and TOKEN.
You cannot technically anonymize a TOKEN Survey when you want the respondent to come back and finish the survey.

ChrisMcD wrote: Do you mean its possible to have say a front page where they can click a button and it takes them to a certain section ?

Correct, that way people don't get lost if they reaccess the survey and might be at different position. You show/hide certain question groups when respondents are answering the section question.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • ChrisMcD
More
4 years 7 months ago #188773 by ChrisMcD
apologies I didn't explain myself properly. The survey does not collect any obvious data to personally identify users, so anonymity is not too much of a worry.
  • ChrisMcD
More
4 years 7 months ago #188774 by ChrisMcD
OK great thanks. I will need to look into how to hide a question group, as i cannot see how. I can see how to hide individual questions easily enough, but not a whole group. Thanks
  • holch
More
4 years 7 months ago #188775 by holch
If you know how to hide a question (via relevance equation) you also know how to hide a question group (via relevance equation as well).

Or am I understanding you wrong?

• ChrisMcD
More
4 years 7 months ago #188778 by ChrisMcD
I haven't tried hiding a question via relevance equation, I have only hidden them using Edit Question > Display > "Always hide this question"
  • holch
More
4 years 6 months ago #188813 by holch
When you use
Code:
Edit Question > Display > "Always hide this question"

the question is ALWAYS hidden, as the wording says. No matter what happens the survey. I don't think this is what you need here. But you can hide questions with "conditions" or better, with relevance equations. And the same goes for question groups. You can write a relevance equation which will determine whether a question or question group is shown to a survey taker or not, based on previous answers or even information stored in the token table.

Lets assume that you want to ask people some questions about their children. Of course it does not make sense to ask these questions if the respondent does not have children.

So you could set a question Q1 "Do you have children?", with two answer options (Yes, answer code 1, NO, answer code 2).

In the next question (or question group) you will ask more about the children. so you could write something like this in the relevance equation:
Code:
{Q1==1}

This would show the question / or question group for which you have set this relevance equation, only if the answer to Q1 is "1" (Yes).

You can access token attributes with something like TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1, etc., of course depending on the attribute you want to access.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisMcD
  • tpartner
More
4 years 6 months ago #188825 by tpartner
Questions can also be hidden with a CSS class "hidden".

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisMcD

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose