Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Language not available

• JaniqueJL
  • JaniqueJL's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #188588 by JaniqueJL
Language not available was created by JaniqueJL
Hello,
I am creating a survey in French, English and Inuktitut for a research project. I already created the survey in the English and French versions, but the Inuktitut language is not available in LimeSurvey.
I would like survey respondents to be able to switch languages when they complete the survey, because some questions are difficult to translate in Inuktitut and so I know Inuit respondents may wish to look at the English version from time to time.
I don't need LimeSurvey for translation because I already have the survey available in the 3 versions.

My question is:
Is it possible to add another tab in the languages options (even if the language is not available for translation) and simply indicate 'Inuktitut'?

Thank you very much for your help!
Janique
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #188593 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Language not available
No, the language file will have to exist for a language switcher tab to do anything.

Having said that, you first say "I already created the survey in the English and French versions, but the Inuktitut language is not available" but later you say "I already have the survey available in the 3 versions" which seems contradictory to me, so I'm not really sure what you are trying to do.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by tpartner.
  • JaniqueJL
More
4 years 6 months ago #188595 by JaniqueJL
Replied by JaniqueJL on topic Language not available
Thank you for your reply Tony.
What I'm trying to do is to have a survey that respondents can start completing in one language (for example in Inuktitut), then switch to another language (for example to English) during they're completing, it if they want to.

I do have the survey in the 3 languages (in Word), so I don't need LimeSurvey to translate it for me. I just need LimeSurvey to allow me to create a new language option in my survey (which would indicate "Inuktitut").
But I am only able to create my survey in LimeSurvey in a bilingual version (Fench and English). I cannot add an option for another language (Inuktitut) that I could copy-paste my questions in. I am only allowed to add a tab for the languages that are available for translation in LimeSurvey (for example Spanish). But I don't want the Inuktitut speakers to see "Spanish" instead of "Inuktitut").
My question is: can I add an option for another language that is not in LimeSurvey's list of languages available for translation?
Hope this is clearer.
Thanks!
Janique
  • tpartner
More
4 years 6 months ago #188596 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Language not available
Okay, I understand now.

To be clear, LimeSurvey never automatically translates question, answer or description text strings. The various language files are for things like button texts, warnings, etc.

The only way I see to create another language is to follow these instructions - manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSu...ng_a_new_translation .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • JaniqueJL
More
4 years 6 months ago #188600 by JaniqueJL
Thank you very much for your quick reply Tony.
I'll read this carefully (in the morning, with a coffee).
Best,
Janique
  • holch
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #188603 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Language not available
As there are many text strings to translate, I guess the best is copy the English Version, not translate the LS standard strings and just call it "Inuktitut". All the standard texts will appear in English. But the ones that actually appear to the user aren't that many, so either you leave them in English or you translate just the ones that you need for your survey (e.g. error messages, instructions, etc. that really appear for you in your questionnaire).
Because if you want to translate the whole language file, this will take forever and many strings are actually for the survey backend, that you don't really need in "Inuktitut".

I think we should have two language files, one for the survey strings and one for the backend. I don't think we need the backend in that many languages, but we will need the front end in as many languages as possible.

I made a feature request: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=15245

Might never make it into the core, but I think it would help if we could just translate those strings that are seen by respondents, especially for exotic languages. The work is a lot less and people can run surveys in more exotic languages easier. Because translating only those strings is also feasible for only one survey, now I guess few will commit to translate the whole Limesurvey backend as well, just because they need a survey in a rare language.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • JaniqueJL
More
4 years 6 months ago #188604 by JaniqueJL
Yes, I'll try that.
The standard text can stay in English, that's not a problem.
Besides, I don't speak Inuktitut, so I couldn't translate everything myself.
Thanks!
Janique

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose