Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Add 'English GB' and 'English US' as additional languages?

• ddiesenreither
  • ddiesenreither's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #187760 by ddiesenreither
Hello community,

is there a way to add 'English' twice to a survey? My customer wants to support 'English GB' and 'English US' due to some communication reasons.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Edit:
I use Version 3.5.3+180316.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by ddiesenreither.
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #187763 by jelo
That level of locals is not implemented. Open a feature request.
translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-3/
BTW The 1% translation status for English is wrong. Seems to be messed up with the upcoming LS 4.

The first step would be to be able to add the same language twice or more to a survey.
This feature would already help, since most the time you have English and certain local differences which you need to change in the survey textboxes or regional settings (e.g. date, numbers). The LimeSurvey instructions mostly are not the issue.

My feature request from 2017:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12148

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by jelo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, ddiesenreither
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 8 months ago #187764 by tpartner
In the meantime, you can create your own copy of EN - manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSu...ng_a_new_translation

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, ddiesenreither
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 8 months ago #187765 by DenisChenu
We already have pt and pt-BR,

We can have en + en-US + en-GB but this need someone to manage and update it …

I ask to some French Canadian and French Belgium if need fr-CA and fr-BE, but we don't really need it if it's outdated at each update …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
More
4 years 8 months ago #187809 by holch
I agree with Denis, there are a couple of examples for where we already have more than one language (Portuguese from Portugal and Brazil, German formal and informal, various versions of Spanish, 3 different versions of Chinese, Czech formal/informal, Dutch formal/informal etc.).

But it always depends on the capacity of administration, keeping it up to date, translate new strings, etc. and here I see some problems. There is for example no one responsible for the Portuguese from Portugal. This means, new translations do not get approved. So for English GB, English US (and then eventually English AU, English NZ, English CA, etc.) we would always someone who is helping to keep things up to date. Every additional language is additional work, even if it is basically just a copy of the original English with some adaptions.

Ideally, as Jelo says, you would be able to add more than one Language version of the questionnaire. Because I agree, the problem are usually not the pre-existing strings from Limesurvey, but rather you want to adapt the text of the questionnaire for a certain country.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ddiesenreither
  • ddiesenreither
  • ddiesenreither's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #187820 by ddiesenreither
Thank you for your answers. I completely understand the overhead of maintaining this additional languages.

As you mentioned, the problem is not the missing 'translation' of LimeSurvey, it is more about added a language multiple times. A nice feature would be the possibility to add a language, set the fallback language of this so the customer can add the questions for the added language and the system takes the related strings from the fallback if there is no own translation of this string.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by ddiesenreither.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 7 months ago #187828 by DenisChenu
Related feature request : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=14782

But then : need a "extend language system …"

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose