Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple surveys with the same database

• Zumabeach66
  • Zumabeach66's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181478 by Zumabeach66
Multiple surveys with the same database was created by Zumabeach66
I have a client that wants to have their members select the survey they want to take. There will be 5 surveys. They want it set up so if they select one of five surveys and complete it, they will be locked out of taking the other four surveys.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181482 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Multiple surveys with the same database
Why not set it up as one survey with 5 sets of questions, one of which is displayed via relevance.

Then you can restrict them to only accessing the survey once with tokens.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Zumabeach66
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181600 by Zumabeach66
Replied by Zumabeach66 on topic Multiple surveys with the same database
How would I configure this to work..I'm new at LimeSurvey. It's exactly what I need to do.

Thanks in advance
Tom
  • holch
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181610 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Multiple surveys with the same database
You need to set the relevance equation of each question / question group accordingly, so that the question / groups shows, depending on which "survey" they respondent chose.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Zumabeach66
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181758 by Zumabeach66
Can I find a step by step to accomplish this. I know about using tokens, but I would like to have several question groups and let my members select the question group that applies to them. I'm stuck on how to give them that selection for access.
  • Joffm
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181759 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Multiple surveys with the same database
If the respondents select what they want to answer,
your first question should be a single punch question.

Q1: What do you want to answer?
1 - The very long survey about cars
2 - The short survey about candy
3 - The boring survey about country life

Afterwards you select the groups by group relevance.

Joffm

manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #181775 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Multiple surveys with the same database
Just a note: you told a customer that you could give them a specific service for which they will pay. Then you come on a free support forum to do this work?

My answer : support.sondages.pro/

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Zumabeach66
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #181818 by Zumabeach66
Your reply "sucks" Denis. I have been a web developer for 19 years and have helped people many times without asking for money...it's the way things work. That's what forums are for. Many businesses don't offer support and direct you to their forums for help. Have you checked out WordPress lately or Elegant Themes (do you want a longer list). I don't know what your problem is, but I can assure you...It's a problem.
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Zumabeach66.
  • holch
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #181820 by holch
Keep calm. I agree, the response from Denis might not have been the most elegant. But I can assure you that Denis is one of the strongest supporters of the Limesurvey Community and he has helped many, many people here in the forum.

To a certain extend I can also understand his sentiment, because obviously you were selling your client a certain expertise, but yet you require a step by step solution for an approach we have outlined to you already with the basics, so you can approach it with a little search in the forum and manual, especially if you are an experienced web developer.

But let's all tone it down a little bit and start over.

I assume with the description of Joffm you should have been able to tackle the problem, right? Or do you have any specific questions?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by holch.
  • Zumabeach66
More
5 years 1 week ago #181822 by Zumabeach66
Thanks for your kind reply. So you'll understand, I'm not charging my client (of 12 years) for this survey configuration. I have been doing their surveys for years using LimeSurvey, which is on my host server. I've never had a problem...its been a fantastic solution. I think I've been using it before you had a paid licensed version. I thought I could figure this out as well...my mistake.

I am using LimeSurvey Version 1.92+ Build 120330, which could be my problem.

Where I'm getting stuck is this section (below):

Q1: What do you want to answer?
1 - The very long survey about cars
2 - The short survey about candy
3 - The boring survey about country life

Afterwards you select the groups by group relevance.

I don't understand the Select Groups by Group Relevance...or see where that option is listed.

Again, people will login to the survey with their token, select the survey they want to take, finish that group of questions and then they're done. We don't want them to log in any longer and take another group of questions. Then my client wishes to generate a report or reports with the results.

I can build 5 different surveys if I need to but would like to see if I can do it this way.

Thank you for your advice

Tom
  • holch
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #181823 by holch

I am using LimeSurvey Version 1.92+ Build 120330, which could be my problem.

Yes, this might be our problem. Your software is almost (missing 15 days) 7 years old! In web application years this are decades. So I would highly recommend that you do an upgrade to the latest version, or at least to 2.6.x, but the fork from the very same Denis Chenu, who is still supporting a branch of LS that is 2 major versions behind, for free.
github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-SondagesPro
If you look at his Github you'll see an impressive set of plugins he created and provides them to the community for free: github.com/SondagesPro/

You should really consider do at least this upgrade, if you don't want to move to LS 3.x, because your installation hasn't received any bug fixes for 7 years now. So as a client, I wouldn't allow to collect data on such an old installation.

Now to you problem: I don't think that question / group relevance existed back then, I think it made it into LS only with the 2.05 version, but I am not sure anymore, this was so many years ago.

What you could do is to use conditions instead. It is a little bit more work in my opinion, but conditions should have existed.

What you do is, you create a first question like Joffm suggested, where participants make their choice.

Then, based on this choice, you set conditions on the questions / question groups that you want them to see and the ones you want to hide.

However, all this can be done a lot easier and quicker with question or better group relevance, so you might want to install either 3.0 or the fork from Denis if you have custom themes (they won't work in 3.x).

Then have a look at how far LS has come from 1.92 to even the 2.05/2.6 branch.

Unfortuantely (or better fortunately) I don't have such an old installation (and I doubt anyone else here does) to be able to check what is possible in 1.92 and what is not.

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 week ago #181835 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Multiple surveys with the same database

Zumabeach66 wrote: … Elegant Themes…

Let me laugh …
www.elegantthemes.com/join/
$89 by year to downlaod theme.

My plugins are free to download : gitlab.com/SondagesPro
My comit on limesurvey core are free : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commits?author=Shnoulle

You came with a client, you ask a question BUT : you don't explain what you try, you don't send a lss file for an example, you don't say your limesurvey version.

Sorry : but you s***

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose