Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input

• Jmantysalo
  • Jmantysalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #158164 by Jmantysalo
What would be cleanest way to add a "other"-option to a slider question (i.e. multiple numerical input, slider type)? I mean something like:

When visiting Finland, how much you like to:

Go to a sauna
|---o----|
See the midnight sun
|----o---|
Other: ________
|----o---|

I am thinkig something like a short text question and a slider array of one subquestion, but then I should remove the header from the slider array. (And how to do that?)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Jmantysalo.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 7 months ago #158201 by Joffm
Hello, Jmantysalo,
I have no answer to your question.

But I like to say something general.
I know many people like this kind of question (An "Other" option which is rated)

But what do you expect as answer?
Do you really think respondents will enter something and then rate "Don't like it".
Normally they will only enter things they like.

Therefore we always recommend to our clients to rate the precoded items and ask afterwards for "other things you like in Finland".

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #158207 by Jmantysalo
Replied by Jmantysalo on topic Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input

Joffm wrote: But what do you expect as answer?
Do you really think respondents will enter something and then rate "Don't like it".
Normally they will only enter things they like.

True, they would normally only write things they like at least a little. However, they could still compare their other-option to prefilled options; "looking reindeers" could be given as even better than the midnight sun, or then as additional "it was nice too" -thing.

In this case I am not creating a survey; I just try to implement what the research group wants.

Metaquestion: Should I open a new question about removing the header block from one question?
More
6 years 3 months ago #162086 by LeftyMaus
Replied by LeftyMaus on topic Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
I am also interested in adding an 'Other' option to our Multiple numerical input survey. But since the question was never actually answered, I'll ask again: Is this possible?

I think providing the 'Other' text description is important because it gives us a chance at verifying that what the respondent considers to be 'Other' may actually belong in one of the existing categories. In addition it also allows us the opportunity to make sure 'Other' Financing Uses is not being abused by a less thoughtful respondent. In our case the temptation is to simply dump numbers into 'Other' in order to make them balance with the Financing Sources

I can always make a follow-up question that only appears if there is a dollar value entered into a field that I specify called 'Other', but that seems awkward. Especially considering that other limesurvey question types have the 'Other' option built into them. Like for example, Multiple Choice: .
  • tpartner
More
6 years 3 months ago #162091 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
A solution would be to use JavaScript to move the text input from a following question into that question but then validation gets tricky. I think it's far simpler to leave them as separate questions.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeftyMaus
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #162202 by Jmantysalo
This is possible. We did a question of type "Multiple numerical input" where one of the subquestions have a code "other" and the value for question string is

{k401a_other}|Text one|Text two

where k401a is a question code of the previous question. This was no so hard, but not clearly documented.
More
6 years 3 months ago #162205 by LeftyMaus
Replied by LeftyMaus on topic Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
This sounds promising, but I'm having trouble implementing. Could you upload a screenshot? I can't seem to get the text input to appear within the multiple numerical input.
  • Jmantysalo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #162210 by Jmantysalo
I guess I can sent the whole query to you, but I will confirm that from the research group. Please send your address to jori.mantysalo@uta.fi.
More
5 years 7 months ago #173620 by rvelazco
Replied by rvelazco on topic Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
Hi,

I am trying to do something similar what LeftyMouse pictured in some comments before.

I have a multiple numercial input with 5 subquestions, all of them need to sum 100, but i would like to put an "other" option where the user could add any description and put a number that affects the sum. (The sum must be always 100).

So in resume, the example could have 6 subquestions, with the other with two input texts: description and numerical.

I dont know if I explain myself, but if you could help me i would appreciate a lot.

Ivan

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose