Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Assign participants to 2 different question groups (treated and controls)

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 10 months ago #137300 by holch
Hmm, I hoped that you wouldn't give a survey with more than 60 questions, but only the part with the problem.

First aspect: I think you put the equation in the wrong place. I moved it and made the question visible and this works now (either 1 or 2 is randomly assigned to the equation question Q1). Unfortunately when you click on next, you reach the end (with non of th other questions shown). So there seems to be another problem. I will investigate further.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #137301 by holch
OK, here we go. Problems solved.

Problem 1: You had the expression at the wrong place. It needs to be placed as "question text" to be saved in the database.
Problem 2: You had the relevance equations for the two groups in brackets {}. Limesurvey highlighted this error marking it red. I don't know why, but the code for the expressions needs to be in between { and }, but for the relevance equations it shouldn't. Probably because you can use the expressions within normal text, etc., while the relevance equations just can contain EM code. I would find it more logical if we would use brackets for relevance equation as well, but that's the way it is.

What I did was showing the question Q1 to check if the randomization is working, which is where I discovered the first problem. Once that was fixed, with the equation question showing I could see if it works correctly. I would highly recommend to work with all questions showing at the beginning and once you know it is working correctly (e.g. when the number 1 shows up, the right group of question is shown, etc.), then I would hide the question and test again if it still works fine. Then I would even activate the survey and make a few tests and see in the database if the questions asked correspond to the value of Q1, just to make sure everything is working fine. With the question hidden, you can't see what is actually happening.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• dgiacometti
  • dgiacometti's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #137323 by dgiacometti
First of all I would like to thank you very much for your help. This project is particularly important for me.

Thank you !

I charged the survey and then tried to run it as a preview.

I have now some problems:

1. In the welcoming page in the title, before the usual title there is this word "[external]" just before it. Why is that? Can I just take it out?

2. I tried to run the survey and it seems the program does not randomize between the treated group and the control. Indeed, it looks like the program only show me the TREATED GROUP questions. Possibly there is something still missing?

3. You suggested to activate the survey to run some tests. Isn't it a problem? It says that if I do that I will not be able to add or delete any questions afterwards.... . Maybe I can easily solve this problem re-charging another survey? :huh:

4. If my understanding is correct you suggest to keep the initial question (after the welcoming page) not hidden and run some tests. I am right? To do that I just have to unflag the hidden question button, right?

Thank you again.
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #137326 by holch

dgiacometti wrote: First of all I would like to thank you very much for your help. This project is particularly important for me.
1. In the welcoming page in the title, before the usual title there is this word "[external]" just before it. Why is that? Can I just take it out?

I renamed your survey when I imported it and added [external] at the beginning. If you have a lot of surveys and import some surveys from the forum, it is good to be organized. Later, once the problem is solved, I will delete those surveys that I just imported to help in the forum. You could just delete it. However, I highly recommend not just to use this copy of your survey and continue, but rather check what I have done and implement it in your own survey. If you just copy it, you won't learn anything and you will have the same questions next time.

dgiacometti wrote: 2. I tried to run the survey and it seems the program does not randomize between the treated group and the control. Indeed, it looks like the program only show me the TREATED GROUP questions. Possibly there is something still missing?

I think when I tested it worked, for me. I will check again.

dgiacometti wrote: 3. You suggested to activate the survey to run some tests. Isn't it a problem? It says that if I do that I will not be able to add or delete any questions afterwards.... . Maybe I can easily solve this problem re-charging another survey?

You can activate the survey, run some test surveys, check in the results if everything is alright. Once the tests have been run and you need to make changes, you just deactivate the survey. The results in the database will be archived and you can make your chances. When you re-active the survey, you can start with a clean database.[/quote]

dgiacometti wrote: 4. If my understanding is correct you suggest to keep the initial question (after the welcoming page) not hidden and run some tests. I am right? To do that I just have to unflag the hidden question button, right?

Yes, the last thing for me is hiding the questions. Because first I want to see if the code is working. When the question is hidden, I don't see that. So those "helper questions" stay visible during most of my tests. Once I am sure the codes work I hide the question and check if it still works.

• holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #137328 by holch
Did a test:
- Got rid of captcha which can be extremely annoying when having to test the questionnaire various times. Captchas would the very last thing I would activate when creating a survey. Only once all the rest is working.
- Made question Q1 visible again to check if the generated number is fitting with the group that is shown.
- Marked the option to show the question code (so that I can easily see what group is showing - especially as it is all in Italian)
So I made 5 tests, 3x "2" appeared, 2x "1" appeared. Whenever 2 came up, the questions with a code starting with "CG" showed up, whenever 1 was drawn, the TG questions show up. So this is the desired behaviour.

Please keep in mind that it is not completely unprobable that the first few tests all show the same random number. At the end of the day for each draw the chance is 50% to draw this number. Only with a large number of tests the more or less equal distribution will kick in.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dgiacometti
  • dgiacometti
More
7 years 10 months ago #137331 by dgiacometti
I took out the captcha and unflagged the "always hide this question" button. Now I got alternatives and seems to be randomizing properly.

:woohoo:

I will do some more testing in the next hours.

Is that a way to take out the "exit and clear survey" button? Participants must not have this possibility.
  • dgiacometti
More
7 years 10 months ago #137332 by dgiacometti
I have one last issue to solve.

This survey is incetivized.

I will pay one every 5 participants. So 1/5 of the participants will always win but their prize is based on the result of their responses.

Is it possible to create a random draw that determines the winners? Maybe creating a (bar?)code associated with the ip address that just did the survey?

Then I could provide a link to another website and they could insert the code to check if they won or not. And then I could ask for their email to deliver the prize.

If you have any ideas to suggest that provide the same solution they are welcome.
  • dgiacometti
More
7 years 10 months ago #137371 by dgiacometti
Any chance of help? :blush:

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose