Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is my survey anonymous?

• latnahc
  • latnahc's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #128909 by latnahc
Is my survey anonymous? was created by latnahc
Hi everybody

I received a link to fill a survey.
There are two parameters with the link : token and lang

Does it mean that this survey is NOT anonymous ?

[In the manual, it is written in the "Notification & data management" part : "Enter a Token code (only possible if your survey is not anonymous)"]

Please, forgive my poor english...
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by latnahc.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 3 months ago #128917 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Is my survey anonymous?
"lang" is only for presenting the survey in the right language to you. So this will not have an impact on anonymity, as long as there is more than one person with this language, of course.

Now the token is a different aspect. The token is usually unique to one respondent. However, here is the passage about tokens and anonymity:

manual.limesurvey.org/Tokens#Can_a_surve...onymous_responses.3F

So the fact that there is a token, doesn't mean the survey can not be anonymous.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: latnahc
  • latnahc
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #128923 by latnahc
Replied by latnahc on topic Is my survey anonymous?
thank you holch.

Well, is there any possibility, for a user, to check if a survey is anonymous, or not ?

I've been told that the survey I have to fill is anonymous, but I doubt. :unsure:
And I think that my answers may differ if it is anonymous or not.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by latnahc.
  • holch
More
8 years 3 months ago #128930 by holch
As far as I know, there is no way to see as a user if the survey is really anonymous. There might be one option: Limesurvey has a privacy message that it shows usually when the survey is anonymous. But, even this could be probably "faked".

However, if you don't trust the creator of the survey that guarantees your privacy, then rather assume it is not.

Often in market research the anonymity is guaranteed rather through the ethics code than technically. Often we need to know if someone has respondet (e.g. to be able to remind them or to give them the promised incentive), but we still guarantee to treat responses anonymously. We could for example attribute the responses to a certain person, but we won't as for our work ethics.

So it really depends if you trust the sender or not.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: latnahc
  • latnahc
More
8 years 3 months ago #128944 by latnahc
well it's clear now, thank you.
As the anonymity is conditional (it depends on the ethics of the administrator), I think that this kind of survey should not be said "anonymous" : we do not know what is the ethics of the administrator, it's not fair to suggest that the administrator is ethics by default because he/she may not be ethics, and, in such a case, the user is tricked. :(
We should invent a new term to precisely name this property. I suggest (sorry, english is not my mother tongue) : :woohoo: anonymous-if, or quasi-anonymous.
It is important to respect the user and to give him the proper and accurate information because his/her security is at stake : the user may not ask exactly the same way if a survey is anonymous or quasi- anonymous.

Do you know how to enter in discussion with the limesurvey community about this ethical problem?
More
8 years 3 months ago #128945 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Is my survey anonymous?
What you are asking for is a sweet dream... If you are asked to participate to a survey and think that it may be sent by a liar and dishonest person or organisation, just don't answer it. Also remember that all core texts, alerts, messages etc. are editable either server or client side (nothing written in stone) ;)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • tpartner
More
8 years 3 months ago #128949 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Is my survey anonymous?
I agree with Ben, I see this as a relationship issue between the respondent and surveyor. I don't see how it relates to LimeSurvey in particular.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
8 years 3 months ago #128950 by holch
I also agree with Ben and Tpartner. While Limesurvey can provide an anonymous mode, saying if the survey is anonymous or not and really keep it anonymous is something only the administrator of the survey can do.

And even if with the completely anonymous mode, there are always ways for the administrator to implement certain things that might still pass on personal data to the survey.

When it comes to anonymity on the internet, you either trust the other side or you don't. It is almost impossible to guarantee 100% technical anonymity. If you have your doubts about the creator of the survey, rather don't answer or answer as if it was a non anonymous survey.

• latnahc
More
8 years 3 months ago #128981 by latnahc
Ben, tpartner and holch, thank you very much for your responses and reactions.

Explaining the context seems now useful.
I work in an organization where there are pressions, tensions, between people, eventually between chief and employees, etc. as in a lot of work places.
My organizarion chooses to use limesurvey to ask for the opinions of the people and decides that it is compulsory (I've received a reminder). So I can't choose to not answer (it's real life, not a sweet dream).
Now, I've deeply understood the limit of limesurvey, so I will cheat my responses (what else could I do ?).

This is a real problem to pretend that a survey is anonymous if it may not be (It is illegal in countries where personnal data are protected by laws).

I'm wondering why nobody answers about my suggestion of a new word to qualify limesurvey-anonymity. This new word must convey honestly that there is no resl anonymity, but only a conditional anonymity. This word will help the people, administators and users, to take care about this limit.
No idea?
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 3 months ago #128991 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Is my survey anonymous?

latnahc wrote: ....
My organizarion chooses to use limesurvey to ask for the opinions of the people and decides that it is compulsory (I've received a reminder). So I can't choose to not answer (it's real life, not a sweet dream).
Now, I've deeply understood the limit of limesurvey, so I will cheat my responses (what else could I do ?).

Hi,

The only good solution it's to give hosting and survey management to an external Society. I already ork with "Délégué du personnel" (staff representative in France). I host the survey : give access to staff representative and direction to the survey data except all user information. This was contractualized with staff representative .

This is a real problem to pretend that a survey is anonymous if it may not be (It is illegal in countries where personnal data are protected by laws).

latnahc wrote: .I'm wondering why nobody answers about my suggestion of a new word to qualify limesurvey-anonymity. This new word must convey honestly that there is no resl anonymity, but only a conditional anonymity. This word will help the people, administators and users, to take care about this limit.
No idea?

Because we can do anything we want in LimeSurvey : any dev can hack it .... (same for all system : only a good pact can do this).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 3 months ago #128998 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic Is my survey anonymous?
I very much understand your concerns. We normally work with an external consultant that receives all respondent data, anonymises the results and only reports information about groups when there are more than 10 respondents, so results are never traceable to individuals.

Even then respondents sometimes ask the same questions as you do. And rightfull, because the way the external consultant works is based on contractual agreements that the respondents have not seen.

In the end it all comes down on trust.

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • holch
More
8 years 3 months ago #129010 by holch
I agree. A company/organization that has so severe trust problems within the different stakeholders should consider to contract an independent company that guarantees the annonymity of respondents.

As Dennis says, this is not a Limesurvey problem, this is a general problem. There is no 100% guarantee that a tool is annonymous, especially when there are things like tokens involved (to be able to remind).

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose