Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

ComfortUpdate page blank

• rjsonnek
  • rjsonnek's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 3 months ago #239308 by rjsonnek
ComfortUpdate page blank was created by rjsonnek
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.28.43
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: own server
Survey theme/template: default
==================
(Write here your question/remark)
I am in the process of updating our internal LimeSurvey instance, with the ultimate goal of moving it to a new server.
I have successfully used ComfortUpdate to go from 2.50 to 3.28.43.  The admin interface shows that an update is available.
When I click on ComfortUpdate it changes to a blank page.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• rjsonnek
More
1 year 3 months ago #239309 by rjsonnek
Replied by rjsonnek on topic ComfortUpdate page blank
I get the blank when using Firefox. When I try with MS Edge I am getting an http 500 error.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 3 months ago #239311 by holch
Replied by holch on topic ComfortUpdate page blank
Just wait a couple of hours. If the problem then persists, write a support ticket. Here in the forum we are mainly users helping users and comfortupdate is provided by the Limesurvey GmbH and only they can really check any issues with ComfortUpdate. Sometimes there are issues with the Comfortupdate server.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• rjsonnek
More
1 year 3 months ago #239312 by rjsonnek
Replied by rjsonnek on topic ComfortUpdate page blank
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that there is an issue locally, as the previous updates ran without any issues just before attempting the new update. I believe it wanted to update the ComfortUpdate plugin just before that.

I am seeing that 3.28 is an LTS version, so I think I may remain on that version for now. My next step is to move the survey site to a newer server, as we are working on retiring the current server. I am planning to do a new install on the new server and then import the surveys and results data. I had installed it years ago, but am still a novice at setting this up.

I'll do a new post here if I need advice.

• holch
More
1 year 3 months ago #239313 by holch
Replied by holch on topic ComfortUpdate page blank

I am seeing that 3.28 is an LTS version

It is, or better has been for quite a while now. However, I think as soon as LS 6 comes out, LS 3 will probably discontinued and LS5 will be "LTS". I wouldn't expect LS3 around for very long. But who knows...

Regarding the new setup: If you do a new setup anyway (so you can't really destroy anything), make a copy of your current database, transfer it to the new server and install LS5 over it and see what happens (read on how to do manual updates, it is basically the same process). That is how manual updates are made and I think it should work. In the worst case it won't work and you just do another install with a clean database (shouldn't take much longer than 10 minutes anyway), but if it works out, it saves you a lot of time.

Now, I personally are a friend of starting from zero, but I don't have that many surveys or users that I need to bring over to a new setup. If you have a big installation, it might be worth looking into moving everything to the new server.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
1 year 3 months ago #239314 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic ComfortUpdate page blank

I am seeing that 3.28 is an LTS version, so I think I may remain on that version for now.

Since Version 3 is not running unter PHP 8, the LTS status is depending on your PHP source.
PHP 7 is end of life and no longer maintained by the PHP developers. They have moved to PHP 8.X.
There are some offers by providers and security firms to patch PHP 7 for a few more years.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose