Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Controlling conditions with predefined answer

• erichn
  • erichn's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago #238992 by erichn
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 5.3.31
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Root server
==================
A standardized questionnaire is imported from master.lss-file for different customers. Some questions should not be seen by all users. This is done by the "Condition"-feature depending on one control-question.

Conditions look like "(((!is_empty(CD.NAOK))))" where "CD" is the controlling question. The content of answer to CD gets automatically predefined (some text or empty), when importing the master.lss.

This works fine, but the answer to question CD (question text is empty) is seen as answer-frame like all the other answers do. Participants might try to fill in some text or delete it and therefore control the following questions via the Conditions. I tried to use the question type "Text display", but then the Conditions mechanism won't work. The same happens with "Always hide this question".

Is there any other and better way to get control over the condition mechanism from outside? The method with the pre-filled answer allready looks like hacking, but the condition-mechanism seems to work only with answer-contents.

Thanks in advance for any idea!
Kind regards,
Erich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #238993 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Controlling conditions with predefined answer
It should work with the "Always hide this question" setting. How are you preloading the question? Can you attach a small sample survey (.lss file) containing only the relevant questions?

Alternatively, hide the question with a question CSS class "hidden".

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erichn

• erichn
  • erichn's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago #239006 by erichn
You're right! Looks, like I mixed different approaches. This one works:

- Question CD defined as type "Short free text" with default answer "Erweiterung"
- Set "Always hide this question" as proposed
- Export questionnaire with type ".lss"
- With text editor search "Erweiterung" in export file and delete it, if appropriate
- Import lss-file as new questionnaire

Conditions (((!is_empty(CD.NAOK)))) work exactly as expected. CD is not shown.

Deletion of "Erweiterung" will happen automatically in the future, when a new questionnaire gets imported by program.

I don't know, what mistake I had made before, but I definitely needed some assurance, to try it once again. So, thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Erich

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose