Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

"Resource limit reached" error during surveying

• lukasso_QG
  • lukasso_QG's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago #231746 by lukasso_QG
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.21.0+191203
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Hosted on Queergeography.cz/lime
Survey theme/template: Very slightly modified version of LimeSurvey Fruity Theme
==================
Hi to all, 
We are having an issue with capacity and server load while collecting responses. We run our own hosting of LS ( queergeography.cz/lime/ ), and with an even slightly bigger load, the site is giving us an error message of "resource limit reached." When that happens, people are kicked out of the survey without any possibility to continue responding. Hosting tech guys suggested installing some cache plugins to help reduce the load, but I don't really see any from the official resources. From statistics, we know, that we have not reached any obvious limits, like views per minute or such.

Please, has anyone encounter such problems. Do you have any idea what could be causing it, or how to cure that? 

Thank you ... Lukas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 7 months ago #231748 by holch
I have never heard of such an error message, does it really com from Limesurvey? If you are hosting it yourself, you are responsible for these limits.

Afaik Limesurvey Community Edition has no limits beyond the limits of your hosting environment or the limits of the database engine that has been used.

There is no specific caching plugin for Limesurvey as far as I know. However, this usually isn't a big issue, as long if you don't use massive files like huge images, etc.

What is your hosting environment? Shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server?

What does "slightly bigger load" mean? How many questionnaires per minute, hour, day?

To me, my first impression is that the hosting environment isn't powerful enough, but without knowing what hosting is used, what the package involves, etc. it is difficult to help.

But the error message doesn't sound like something from Limesurvey, but rather something that comes from your hosting provider.

A general bottleneck of Limesurvey usually are the rather big session files, especially when the survey is a little bit bigger.

So how much RAM, how much bandwith, what processores, etc. can give a first idea what we are dealing with, together with some details about what "slightly bigger load" means, etc. And of course a screenshot of the error message.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose