Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Suddenly pieces of other survey appear

• rouuuge
  • rouuuge's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #230215 by rouuuge
LimeSurvey version: Version 5.2.9+220110
==================
Hi,
we have currently the problem, that in some surveys suddenly pieces of other survey appear. As far as we could figure out, the pieces only appear in answer-options (different questions-types) and only in surveys that are not active. Does anybody know the problem, or know why this happened? Thanks for your help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 9 months ago #230223 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear
This sounds very strange and I have never heard of such a problem. In any way, before starting to investigate anything on Version 5.2.9+220110, which is already 6 months old, I would update to the newest version and see if the problem persists. Also I would try to empty the browser cache, try to access via a different browser / computer to see if it isn't a cache problem.

I don't really see how answer options from other surveys should appear in your survey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
1 year 9 months ago #230227 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear
Copy/paste error?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

More
1 year 9 months ago #230369 by Continuo
Replied by Continuo on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear
Dear All

Working at the same organisation as rouuuge, I unfortunately have to confirm that this is a major bug and not a copy/paste error.

As described by rouuuge, we have experienced cases where whole questions or answer-items were suddenly replaced with content from another survey.

This means that instead of the originally created question, suddenly a completely different question from another survey would appear. This also applies to active surveys, which are changed after launch by this bug (!).

So far, we are suspecting that this happens when a new survey is being created OR when languages are deleted from existing surveys. Over-proportionally often, the questions that appeared in the wrong place had another language than the survey they suddenly showed up in.

We are further investigating the issue, but for now please be aware that this is a bug is a major one. It can potentially disrupt running surveys and render results completely unusable.

Therefore, if you have any hints on how we could investigate or solve this bug, please let us know.

Thanks!

• tpartner
More
1 year 9 months ago #230370 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear
Please file a bug report - bugs.limesurvey.org/

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• holch
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #230372 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear

I unfortunately have to confirm that this is a major bug and not a copy/paste error.

So you did an update and this also happens in the latest version? I don't think it makes sense to investigate potential bugs or make a bug report in a 6 months old version of Limesurvey. If it is a bug, it could be already fixed by now.

What I would do is upgrade to the latest version of LS 5 and test again to confirm that the problem persists. If it persists, then please file a bug report with as much information as possible, ideally with LSS files where this has happened, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by holch.

More
1 year 9 months ago #230373 by Continuo
Thanks all

Due to running surveys, we need to find a suitable time-slot for the update - we might be able to do it tonight. I'll report back!

A bug-report will be submited by rouuuge

More
1 year 9 months ago #230381 by Continuo
Dear all

Unfortunately, we will have to wait with the update for another week. Meanwhile, the picture gets clearer: Everytime we create a new survey through copying an existing survey, content from that newly crated survey is being inputted to existing surveys.

Strange enough. As said, we'll report back after the update.

• rouuuge
  • rouuuge's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 8 months ago #230991 by rouuuge
Replied by rouuuge on topic Suddenly pieces of other survey appear
We could reproduce the issue on the demo.limesurvey.org/

The problem is that we copied a survey that used the deprecated like {INSERTANS:662981X74X2227} 

Then that syntax randomly appears in other surveys. 

For example I created this survey:  demo.limesurvey.org/index.php?r=surveyAd...iew/iSurveyID/662981
And made two copies of it. 
Then I checked the other surveys and here i found the error:  demo.limesurvey.org/index.php?r=admin/ex...e/sid/282267/lang/it

Bug:  bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=18304

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose