Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Issue: can't upload a file, screen greeyed.

• emal011
  • emal011's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 1 month ago #226386 by emal011
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LS Community Edition 5.3.5+220314
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: own Server
Survey theme/template: fruity
==================
Hi Community,

we have a problem trying to upload a file for an specific question. We have already check about permission, updates, almost everything. The upload function works, this was already tested.
The problem:

at certain point of our survey, there's a question, in witch the user should upload a file. If you click at the button "upload file", the screen is greyed and you can do nothing else, the upload window will show at the background.

I don't think this issue have to do with the survey itself, it's more a css problem.

The problem was already tested with different web explorers, Chrome, FF, Edge, Safari.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 1 month ago #226398 by holch
Just tested this with 5.3.4+220309 and the layer with the upload function is fine (above the greyed out area).

I will do a quick update and see if the problem was introduced in the latest version, or if it is not a general problem, but a problem with your installation.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
2 years 1 month ago #226399 by holch
Here the changes from 5.3.4 to 5.3.5. I don't see anything that might introduce this issue.
Code:
Changes in 5.3.5 Build 220314 from 5.3.4 Build 220309 --- Legend: + New feature, # Updated feature, - Bug fix
-Fixed issue: Downloading a single file was not possible if file path is symlinked (Carsten Schmitz)
-Fixed issue: Database exception when running survey and db update has not been done yet… (#2289) (Patricia Stell)
-Fixed issue #17942: Question cannot be deleted if another deleted question had a condition pending on it (Carsten Schmitz)
-Fixed issue #17922: ComfortUpdate deletes essential files (Carsten Schmitz)
-Fixed issue #17906: Label set doesn't load (#2287) (Gabriel Jenik)
-Fixed issue #17374: aSurveyInfo.datasecurity_notice_label do not return only the label (#2281) (Denis Chenu)
-Fixed issue #17321: Array question are not split up on mobile devices when using vanilla theme (Gabriel Jenik)
#Updated translation: Spanish (Spain) by ireneoh
#Updated translation: Portuguese (Portugal) by samarta
#Updated translation: Japanese by nomoto
#Updated translation: Finnish by Jmantysalo
#Updated translation: Dutch by Han
#Updated translation: Dutch (Informal) by Han
#Updated translation: Czech by jelen1
#Updated translation: Czech (Informal) by jelen1
#Updated translation: Catalan by qualitatuvic

So I tested the upload question with LS 5.3.5 and I can't see any problem. Are you sure that your theme is a 100% standard "Fruity"-Theme and that there have been no changes to it? Check with another theme and see what happens.

I can't reproduce the issue.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
2 years 1 month ago #226412 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Issue: can't upload a file, screen greeyed.
1. F12 and inspect part
2. Can you check with Vanilla
3. Maybe SkelVanilla ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

• emal011
More
2 years 1 month ago #226420 by emal011
Replied by emal011 on topic Issue: can't upload a file, screen greeyed.
indeed. it was the theme, but why? It is the standard theme and we didn't change the settings of this one.

We had a LS-Installation, witch because some php errors, and other ones, it was impossible to enable the "comfortable update" option. So, we made a manually update, as described in the documentation.

There was described: delete everything but 2 files and one folder. We made it, then we copy all the new files and run the after copy check process. At the beginning didn't work, because of ownership, we made the copy process as a root, but the script was waiting as a www user.

After that and some checks, we realized that our installation/upgrade wasn't completed. We couldn't upload anything and that was because some folder was missing.

With that in mind, and after checking my old backup, we found that the new installation has less folder than my backup.

I don't know why but, it could be that the manually update documentation is not completed? This is a seriously bug, if they recommend to delete everything and after that there is a lot to check because a lot is missing. Maybe after the upgrade is the default theme not complete at all and there some file/folder missing.
How to know? How to check?

• emal011
More
2 years 1 month ago #226421 by emal011
Yes, it was indeed the theme. Thanks for the help!

• DenisChenu
More
2 years 4 weeks ago #226445 by DenisChenu

Yes, it was indeed the theme. Thanks for the help!

You have the reason ?
Did the theme work before ?

Because if a theme work on 3.X.Y but not in 3.Z.Zb : it's an issue.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .

• emal011
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #226487 by emal011
As I said, everything was ok until we made a manually update, after that some random events pop up, like can't upload anything or error messages because of ownership files and folders..

we followed the documentations and we made everything described, but the errors wasn't part of that. There is no mechanisms, witch could detect or check if everything is ok, so, at this point we are working with a system, witch in any moment could show some errors again and we have to deep search what could be.

About the theme, we dind't change anything, not yet, but we are thinking to change the logo, etc, etc. So the problem with the theme is so random at it sounds. But for any reason, it works.

• holch
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #226495 by holch
That's why I said: Make sure you uploaded everything. Uploading via FTP sometimes skips some files.

There is no built in mechanism, because how will Limesurvey know that everything is OK? You need to make sure everything is uploaded. In my experience, the best way is to upload the ZIP-file to the server and unzip it on the server, and then copy the files from there to the right location on the server. The risk that anything is "lost" while copying is a lot lower. But at the end, when doing the manual update, it is up to you to make sure you copied everything to the right place.

• DenisChenu
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #226653 by DenisChenu

i got same problem,

1. Activate debug mode
2. Activate console on Browser (F12 for exampleà
3. Check console error , if there are Url with 500 error : open and copy

More
1 year 11 months ago #227477 by Mia_white
Replied by Mia_white on topic Issue: can't upload a file, screen greeyed.
this worked for me as well

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose