Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Blockchain

• spessex
  • spessex's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #223675 by spessex
Blockchain was created by spessex
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Theme:

==================
Hi
We're (mrfgr.com) very long time users of LS and are great proponents of the software using it solely for all our major and large scale survey requirements. What I'd like to know, is there any future plans to integrate LS with the Blockchain, as I think this would prove to be a major advantage moving forward?

Thank you
Stephen
The topic has been locked.
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #223680 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Blockchain
What problem should be solved with a blockchain in LimeSurvey?

Do you use LimeSurvey only for special purposes?

I'm surprised to see that feature request from a  market research company.
Isn't LimeSurvey lacking a lot of basic things for adhoc survey creation (e.g. relevance equations on single choice answers) or placing other fields on more than one answer items or randomizing only part of the items.The time to implement such functions via workarounds cost a lot of time.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jelo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • spessex
  • spessex's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #223737 by spessex
Replied by spessex on topic Blockchain
Perhaps this was directed within the wrong forum, as it was more a generalised question as to whether it's a consideration on the future roadmap for LimeSurvey.

We've never found LimeSurvey lacking in any area as yet, and as far as we're concerned it's the best survey software out there, yet when one considers Web 3.0 and the blockchain I would have thought it would be inevitable at some point, particularly when considering the benefit of the system sitting on a decentralised blockchain. Essentially, it would then become a fully trusted survey system (once the review would be on the chain there would be no way anyone could change it), which will be a main requirement for bluechips clients when they become more knowledgeable around this subject. Even now, layer 2 blockchain technologies are already starting process transactions faster and far cheaper than past blockchain iterations (polygon as one example on Ethereum) so I would have thought it would certainly be a viable solution down the line.

Anyway, it would be good to know the roadmap on this :)
More
2 years 2 months ago #223741 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Blockchain

Essentially, it would then become a fully trusted survey system (once the review would be on the chain there would be no way anyone could change it), which will be a main requirement for bluechips clients when they become more knowledgeable around this subject.

Which wouldn't involve any change in LimeSurvey cause you wouldn't place data during an active survey on a blockchain. Placing a review on a blockchain would be done after a survey is closed.
Reasons for not interacting with any blockchain during a survey are e.g. speed and amount of interactions in a short time.
Reasons for not placing surveydata in a blockchain is the privacy and the right of respondents to revoke personal data.

If you need to ensure that exported data of a survey stays unmodified after a certain point of time, you can do that in more simple way.
Depending on who needs to see and validate the proof, you can publish a hash-code of the dataexport on twitter or sign the file with a digital time stamp
( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_stamp_protocol ).

In all cases there are authorities involved you need to trust to a certain point. E.g. if I post a hash-code on twitter, I hope that nobody from Twitter will change my post. Other could see the change and Twitter would be in Trouble if they change posts from their users. When I use a SSL cert of Let's Encrypt I trust them, that they won't generate a second certificate for my domain to others.
Conducting a survey will require trust to third party. The question is where can the use of a "survey blockchain" reduce the people/organizations you need to trust to prove that the survey data wasn't manipulated. My first question would be, who will be responsible to define, code and maintain the infrastructure for the survey blockchain service? The weakest point in using a blockchain is the software client. Wouldn't a bluechip company wants to know who has released software they should use and perhaps install on there computers?

NbITIHQwBjjQOcEw9rI5HkdHHGPrgypmiPig0TxLC1jfZ8Jo/Rl9nQxI0bu2psbjIf/5RcbPCGr2XRQbEsHooQ==
This is the SHA3-512 hashcode for the last paragraph. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-3
Placing that on social media and mailing that to people will ensure that anyone can check if the text has changed and that I can always prove what my text was.
You need to trust the SHA3 algorithm, the software, which allows you to use SHA-3 and the public websites you place the hashcode.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 2 months ago #223791 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Blockchain
I really didn't see any interest in blockchain for LimeSurvey

A good contract with a survey company is better, You can go to trial with a good contract, not with a blockchain.

web3isgoinggreat.com/

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose