Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using Google Workspace email relay for LimeSurvey

• Leithy
  • Leithy's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #243096 by Leithy
Has anyone successfully set up LimeSurvey to use an email relay instead of a mailbox?

I'm attempting to make operating LimeSurvey a bit cheaper and simpler for my organsiation by using an email relay instead of a dedicated mailbox for invites, reminders,etc.

I'm using a Google Workspace email relay for this a the organisation uses Workspace for it's domain.

Setting up the relay in Workspace is fairly simple, but haven't yet managed to configure LS correctly to use it. Instead of the SMPT settings, do I need to use qmail or sendmail? If I'm using qmail or sendmail, are the config files I need to edit within the LS install or do I edit the global hosting settings config files?

I note that in LS5.x and 6.x the tabs for qmail and sendmail don't really contain any settings  - is that by design? Is it worth putting in a feature request for some fields for relay settings in qmail or sendmail or is this a bug?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #243111 by holch
There are no settings for qmail and sendmail in LS5 either. I think this is on purpose. I am not an expert, but afaik the settings for these two are done on the server and not within Limesurvey. Let's see if someone more knowledgeable has more to say.

But saving your company a few bugs (by avoiding to create a specific mailbox I assume), might backfire. Generally, in terms of reliability, I think a properly configured SMTP account is the best choice to avoid to run into trouble when sending mass emails.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leithy

• Leithy
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #243136 by Leithy
Yes, suspect there won't be many using relays.

Rationale in this case is that the send rate is quite low.

• Leithy
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #243140 by Leithy
If anyone else is attempting to do this - then yes it can be done

Emails sent by LS receive correct DKIM signing etc so long as your DNS settings include a correct SPF record for the IP address of the LS host.

This may also help people mitigate OAUTH or Less Secure Apps issues when using Google Workspace

• DenisChenu
More
11 months 1 week ago #243360 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Using Google Workspace email relay for LimeSurvey
If you want to use a mail relay : configure your server to this mail relay.

Mail function on PHP didn't send mail : it use the server system.

howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver for example

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose