Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LimeSurvey Not Working properly with Tiny MCE

• BITCNI
  • BITCNI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #241378 by BITCNI
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Cloud
Version 3.28.51
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: LS
Survey theme/template: BITCNI_extends_vanilla
==================
Hello, again.
Not sure if I should start a new Topic or continue the other one, but this does seem to be a new issue.
As some Mods here will be aware, we recently installed Tiny MCE in order to allow formatting; however, when users copy/paste from Word *or* just applying formatting, LimeSurvey is converting the formatting to HTML, so instead of  . . .

THIS
We get this:
<p style="margin: 0cm; line-height: 13.5pt;"><strong><span style="font-size: 11.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode',sans-serif; color: #1b1d1e;">THIS</span></strong><span style="font-size: 11.5pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode',sans-serif; color: #1b1d1e;"> </span></p> <p style="line-height: 18.75pt; margin: 0cm 0cm 11.25pt 0cm;"><span style="font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode',sans-serif; color: #bbbbbb;">Mar 10, 2023 </span></p>

I put a ticket in with Tiny MCE, and they've said this is a problem with LimeSurvey and not the Plugin.

*sigh*

Anyone know if this is fixable, or does LS simply not support this SaaS properly? :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 1 month ago #241380 by Joffm
What else did you expect?
Even if you insert this editor, the entered text is stored in a database field of type "text".
As you see here
[url] forums.limesurvey.org/index.php/forum/ca...r-respondents#240240 [/url]
you have to use.
{html_entity_decode(Q1)}

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

• BITCNI
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #241383 by BITCNI
To be honest, I thought the Plugin would decode it when it loaded and rendered it.

When you say that we have to use {html_entity_decode(Q1)}, can you please explain how this is used. Do I have to copy and paste this into every question? Does it go above or below the <script> code?

Thanks for your response and help.

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 month ago #241388 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic LimeSurvey Not Working properly with Tiny MCE
You were given a sample survey in one of your other threads. It uses the html_entity_decode() function to display the html stored in a previous question.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• BITCNI
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #241404 by BITCNI
Thanks, but when I downloaded the sample and tried to import it, I got this error.

Are you on a newer version?
Attachments:

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 month ago #241450 by tpartner
Yes, that sample survey was for version 5.x because you didn't fill in the first questions about your LimeSurvey installation.

Here is a slightly modified script that parses the HTML properly in the editor if respondents return to the page:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" data-author="Tony Partner">

$(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete',function(){

// Identify this question
    var thisQuestion = $('#question{QID}');
    var thisTextarea = $('textarea:eq(0)', thisQuestion);
    var textID = $(thisTextarea).attr('id');

// Clean up the textarea value before initiating the editor
    function decodeEntities(encodedString) {
      var textArea = document.createElement('textarea');
      textArea.innerHTML = encodedString;
      return textArea.value;
    }
    var decodedval = decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val());
    $(thisTextarea).val(decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val()));

// Initiate the editor
    tinymce.init({ 
      selector:'#'+textID,
      plugins: 'code'    
    });
  });
</script>

Here is a sample survey for 3.x. The first group contains two questions with editors. the second group contains a text-display question that uses the html_entity_decode() function to display the HTML from the editor in Q1.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...3293.lss
File Size:21 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• BITCNI
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #241455 by BITCNI
Thanks, Tony. You're very patient, and I do really appreciate your help greatly.

I infer from looking at your file that this code you've written needs to go into every question that is a 'List with Comment'?

I did test it with one question, and it worked perfectly for rendering when someone returns to the Survey and continues filling it in.  However, if they hit the back/previous button, the formatting returns to code being displayed instead of the rich text format.  Is that a browser issue, or is there no way around that?

Many thanks
Brian
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by BITCNI.

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 month ago #241457 by tpartner
Yes, and it will also work in long-text questions.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• BITCNI
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #241461 by BITCNI
Thanks, Tony, but it worked once, and as soon as I hit the 'Previous' button to see what happened, it reverted to HTML. This is what I put into the Source for the question:
Code:
<script src="https://cdn.tiny.cloud/1/<our API key>/tinymce/6/tinymce.min.js" referrerpolicy="origin"></script><script>
    tinymce.init({
        selector:'#question{QID} textarea.form-control',
    });
</script><script>
$(function() {
$("label[for=answer{SGQ}comment].control-label").text("Please provide detail of how you meet the option you have selected, as well as how you meet the preceding criteria.");
});
</script><script type="text/javascript" data-author="Tony Partner">
$(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete',function(){
// Identify this question
var thisQuestion = $('#question{QID}');
var thisTextarea = $('textarea:eq(0)', thisQuestion);
var textID = $(thisTextarea).attr('id');
// Clean up the textarea value before initiating the editor
function decodeEntities(encodedString) {
var textArea = document.createElement('textarea');
textArea.innerHTML = encodedString;
return textArea.value;
}
var decodedval = decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val());
$(thisTextarea).val(decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val()));
// Initiate the editor
tinymce.init({
selector:'#'+textID,
});
});
</script>

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 month ago #241462 by tpartner
Did you try my sample survey?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• BITCNI
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #241465 by BITCNI
Thanks, Tony.

Yes: I copied it exactly from your Survey file, after importing it.  Yours works perfectly, but when I copy/paste the code into mine, only the first question renders with formatting; all the other questions display HTML.

This is what I used in the first question:
Code:
<script src="https://cdn.tiny.cloud/1/<my API Key>/tinymce/6/tinymce.min.js" referrerpolicy="origin"></script> <script type="text/javascript" data-author="Tony Partner">                                $(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete',function(){                                                                // Identify this question                                var thisQuestion = $('#question{QID}');                                var thisTextarea = $('textarea:eq(0)', thisQuestion);                                var textID = $(thisTextarea).attr('id');                                                                                                // Clean up the textarea value before initiating the editor                                function decodeEntities(encodedString) {                                                var textArea = document.createElement('textarea');                                                textArea.innerHTML = encodedString;                                                return textArea.value;                                }                                var decodedval = decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val());                                $(thisTextarea).val(decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val()));                                                                // Initiate the editor                                tinymce.init({                                                 selector:'#'+textID,                                                plugins: 'code'                                                    });                });</script>

And this is what I pasted into all the other questions in the group.
Code:
[b]<script type="text/javascript" data-author="Tony Partner">[/b][b]                [/b][b]                $(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete',function(){[/b][b]                                [/b][b]                                // Identify this question[/b][b]                                var thisQuestion = $('#question{QID}');[/b][b]                                var thisTextarea = $('textarea:eq(0)', thisQuestion);[/b][b]                                var textID = $(thisTextarea).attr('id');[/b][b]                                [/b][b]                                [/b][b]                                // Clean up the textarea value before initiating the editor[/b][b]                                function decodeEntities(encodedString) {[/b][b]                                                var textArea = document.createElement('textarea');[/b][b]                                                textArea.innerHTML = encodedString;[/b][b]                                                return textArea.value;[/b][b]                                }[/b][b]                                var decodedval = decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val());[/b][b]                                $(thisTextarea).val(decodeEntities($(thisTextarea).val()));[/b][b]                                [/b][b]                                // Initiate the editor[/b][b]                                tinymce.init({ [/b][b]                                                selector:'#'+textID,[/b][b]                                                plugins: 'code'                  [/b][b]                                });[/b][b]                });[/b][b]</script>[/b]

I notice in your Code that it is below the question's text.  Does it matter if it's above or below?

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 month ago #241466 by tpartner
Attach a sample survey (.lss file).

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose