Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Discussion: Consider a survey to be completed after this point

More
2 years 2 months ago #224079 by jelo
The case Tammo described seems not limited to statCount usage.The case that respondents leave before that last page is common in many survey situations.
To extend the statCountIfCondition with a way to set a submit-date (if that is what the draft should tell us), seems to be too narrow.

The purpose to end a survey at more than one position in the survey is valid. That's why other survey tools offer a question type for that.
Another generic way would be to have an advanced option in every questiontype to be the endpage itself (with or without displaying the content of the endpage below the question content.
A special question type is easier to understand, cause it can be seen in the structure list. And it would replace the missing jumpto functionality in many situations, where you want to route respondents directly to the end of the survey.

@Tammo: Why not open a feature request based on what you got?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
2 years 2 months ago #224080 by tammo
@Jelo: you are right, it is not limited to the statCount functions, that was an example.

Your idea to have a special question type, something like: Survey End question which writes in the database the submitdate and defines the survey as finished, even when you are not on the end page (group) would be something great. After which more groups & questions can be defined, but these question are "bonus".

I can make this into a feature request, but I started the discussion here, because I wanted to hear multiple voices. I leave this open for now, will consider writing a feature request in a week or so, because the discussion may not be over yet. I think it is better that real users discuss this feature before to throw it in the developers arena... And yes, some real users are also developers... ;-)

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 2 months ago #224082 by DenisChenu

Your idea to have a special question type, something like: Survey End question which writes in the database the submitdate and defines the survey as finished, even when you are not on the end page (group) would be something great. After which more groups & questions can be defined, but these question are "bonus".

Warning : for limesurvey (without allow edit) : this disable save response if you use submitdate.
A survey completed can not be edited again.

Question : why not use an equation question type ? And the feature are more : export filtered by + admin statistics filtered by + public statistics filtered by etc … ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 2 months ago #224083 by DenisChenu

The purpose to end a survey at more than one position in the survey is valid. That's why other survey tools offer a question type for that.

How it's used ? In GUI ? When it's used exactly ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #224084 by tammo

Warning : for limesurvey (without allow edit) : this disable save response if you use submitdate.
A survey completed can not be edited again.

Question : why not use an equation question type ? And the feature are more : export filtered by + admin statistics filtered by + public statistics filtered by etc … ?

I had not thought of that warning. I never use "save the response and resume later" functionality, since my experience is that most (all?) people that use this option never come back to finish the survey. But that would indeed be a consequence: once it is submitted ( = once you have passed the submitted point), you will not be able to save and resume.

respondage.nl
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by tammo. Reason: text clarification
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #224085 by tammo

How it's used ? In GUI ? When it's used exactly ?

No design has been made yet, I guess.. But I see the point: submitdate for completely finishing the survey and a submitdate2 for a finish somewhere at a point defined by the survey designer. Plus a way of indicating when a survey is considered to be completed so it will be counted as completed.

respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 2 months ago #224160 by DenisChenu
About GUI : i ask it to @jelo , i really don't have idea on how it work for Survey manager :).

About column name : 'completed' ;)

More
2 years 2 months ago #224180 by jelo
Tammo "only" wants to ensure that LimeSurvey marks a completed survey, even tough the respondent hasn't hit the submit button on the last page.

If we want to just solve that issue, which many of us have experienced, the most direct solution would be to allow every question type to set a termination code in the advanced settings.

Better seems to be to place that in a separate question type (make more questionstypes with less options instead of less question types with more options). The equation questiontype might be not overloaded with options.

If you place the termination/complete question in a question group (BTW: Wasn't LS5 using page instead of group in the GUI. When was that reverted?), the survey response get's the completion code of that termination/complete question.

The advanced version of that termination/completion question type would contain endpage text and would allow to redirect to a different URL. The question type could be used to only mark complete status and to mark complete status and allow showing an endpage or a autourl redirection.

That way you could save a lot of time, when you have different respondent groups in your survey which only have to fill out parts of the survey, but should not be screened out via the quota workaround.

Sometimes you see surveytools using not "complete", but qualified/disqualified status codes in the response set. E.g. if a part of the survey is rushed (timer), the coding will set the responseset to disqualified even though the responseset is completed.

If we consider the equation question as a way to start and don't want to invest time in GUI work, wouldn't be the first stept to have ExpressionScript functions which allow to set the complete status. Wouldn't that be the minimal project, which still is huge.

In a nutshell: Place a equation question in a question group which is considered as an end of the survey. The ExpressionScript function to set the status of the survey to complete is used in the equation question. The big unknown is, how the core functions will react and what routines this new ExpressionScript function has to trigger to really end the survey. It doesn't look like an low hanging fruit.

an status field (perhaps an additional field, till we can be sure it has no negative impact on the basic functions) to qualified/disqualified

• DenisChenu
More
2 years 2 months ago #224188 by DenisChenu
> In a nutshell: Place a equation question in a question group

Alternative :
Place a short text hidden question in 1st group (qualified)
Place some equation to set qualified according to expression

• tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #224191 by tammo
I agree, my primary issue is how to set a survey to completed == "Y" even though the last groep/page has not yet been reached.

I started the discussion here to see if difficult roadblocks and/or additional ideas come up.

Whenever a new feature arises, we, as developers of surveys and software can imagine possibilities and can define many more additional features.

Making it possible to use the Expression Script so set {completed = "Y"} at a specific point would be great, but the implications may be unforeseen. Like: when completed = "Y" would it also be necessary to fill in a completion date?

Or are there more completion statusses necessary? Like submitted01, submitted02 ... submittedn

Or maybe an extra column: "status" where the developer can set arbitrary (self defined) statusses which can be used when filtering. "submitted" can be a "reserved status", only to be used by the core software. Maybe the column should be able to hold more statusses, like: ["submitted01", "submitted"]

For me this is brainstorming online; let's see if we can define a sweet spot which:
1 holds useful functionality
2 for which the development time/effort is overseeable
3 which can be explained to users (= survey developers)

respondage.nl
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by tammo. Reason: further clarification
More
2 years 2 months ago #224194 by jelo
You will than have to sum it all up and submit a feature request. Save your time and submit a feature request now. The concept of submitting bug and feature tickets late is not sustainable. The forum posts get wiped out over time. The forum helps raising interest for a ticket and help matching people. But opening a ticket early helps to find GUI/understanding issues too. Without tickets which gets closed directly because of an misunderstanding, no signal reaches the development team. It gets all covered by forum support and the root cause stays there forever.

• tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #224196 by tammo
@jelo: I thought of that too. But when I start a discussion here, I think I attract more "users" and I would like to add a feature request when I have enough views of users.

When I, based just on my own needs, add a feature request, I become part of a developers discussion, not of a users discussion. Users talk about the usage implications, developers talk about the technical implications. I think there is a slight difference between those two.

respondage.nl

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose