Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Discussion: Consider a survey to be completed after this point

• tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
2 years 2 months ago #223974 by tammo
With the great additions to make computations based on previous responses, the question may arise: when is a survey completed?

For example: when answering quiz-like questions and reaching a last group (or groups...) where the results are being shown in text display questions, you may consider a survey to be completely filled in.

Can we imagine to add a feature that gives the survey designer the possibility to state at what point a survey is completed?

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #223975 by tammo
And: when the users reaches this featured end point, the date & time is written in the database.

respondage.nl
More
2 years 2 months ago #223977 by jelo

With the great additions to make computations based on previous responses, the question may arise: when is a survey completed?

What addtions do you mean?   Just to understand the motivation.

Even under older LimeSurvey versions there is a gap which could be filled by a terminate question type.
This questiontype could be placed anywhere and would come with a few options.

First, the questiontype would write a Statuscode/Depositioncode into the response set.
Typically you numbers with certain meanings in survey tools.

Complete/Qualified
Disqualifed
QuotaFull
etc.

That way you could easily see, why a response set it like it is.
Beside the status code, you would allow to define a another code, which would be saved into the response set as the answer to the termination question.
Another option needed, you be the destination of the termination question.  Endpage of survey or external URL

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #223978 by tammo
I meant the additions like:
manual.limesurvey.org/StatFunctions

respondage.nl
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #223979 by tammo
I use functions like these to make up a last page like here:
research.respondage.com/index.php/774648...t=Y&lang=nl-informal
But when the user is here, she does not proceed, thinks this is ready now.

respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 2 months ago #224075 by DenisChenu
I really think LimeSurvey core must allow submitted survey when "Submit" is done …

Maybe we can add a new function
Some think like this

statCountIfCondition(QuestionCode.sgqa, value[, 'submitdate is not null']);

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
2 years 2 months ago #224079 by jelo
The case Tammo described seems not limited to statCount usage.The case that respondents leave before that last page is common in many survey situations.
To extend the statCountIfCondition with a way to set a submit-date (if that is what the draft should tell us), seems to be too narrow.

The purpose to end a survey at more than one position in the survey is valid. That's why other survey tools offer a question type for that.
Another generic way would be to have an advanced option in every questiontype to be the endpage itself (with or without displaying the content of the endpage below the question content.
A special question type is easier to understand, cause it can be seen in the structure list. And it would replace the missing jumpto functionality in many situations, where you want to route respondents directly to the end of the survey.

@Tammo: Why not open a feature request based on what you got?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #224080 by tammo
@Jelo: you are right, it is not limited to the statCount functions, that was an example.

Your idea to have a special question type, something like: Survey End question which writes in the database the submitdate and defines the survey as finished, even when you are not on the end page (group) would be something great. After which more groups & questions can be defined, but these question are "bonus".

I can make this into a feature request, but I started the discussion here, because I wanted to hear multiple voices. I leave this open for now, will consider writing a feature request in a week or so, because the discussion may not be over yet. I think it is better that real users discuss this feature before to throw it in the developers arena... And yes, some real users are also developers... ;-)

respondage.nl
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 2 months ago #224082 by DenisChenu

Your idea to have a special question type, something like: Survey End question which writes in the database the submitdate and defines the survey as finished, even when you are not on the end page (group) would be something great. After which more groups & questions can be defined, but these question are "bonus".

Warning : for limesurvey (without allow edit) : this disable save response if you use submitdate.
A survey completed can not be edited again.

Question : why not use an equation question type ? And the feature are more : export filtered by + admin statistics filtered by + public statistics filtered by etc … ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 2 months ago #224083 by DenisChenu

The purpose to end a survey at more than one position in the survey is valid. That's why other survey tools offer a question type for that.

How it's used ? In GUI ? When it's used exactly ?

• tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #224084 by tammo

Warning : for limesurvey (without allow edit) : this disable save response if you use submitdate.
A survey completed can not be edited again.

Question : why not use an equation question type ? And the feature are more : export filtered by + admin statistics filtered by + public statistics filtered by etc … ?

I had not thought of that warning. I never use "save the response and resume later" functionality, since my experience is that most (all?) people that use this option never come back to finish the survey. But that would indeed be a consequence: once it is submitted ( = once you have passed the submitted point), you will not be able to save and resume.

respondage.nl
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by tammo. Reason: text clarification
  • tammo
More
2 years 2 months ago #224085 by tammo

How it's used ? In GUI ? When it's used exactly ?

No design has been made yet, I guess.. But I see the point: submitdate for completely finishing the survey and a submitdate2 for a finish somewhere at a point defined by the survey designer. Plus a way of indicating when a survey is considered to be completed so it will be counted as completed.

respondage.nl

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose