Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Duplicate empty responses

• joeschwab
  • joeschwab's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #222703 by joeschwab
Duplicate empty responses was created by joeschwab
Hello, we have a set of surveys that are linked together with end urls. We are using tokens to pass data from one to the next. In our responses, we are seeing duplicate response rows for a single token. There is usually one complete response row, with the rest empty. They don't seem related to the resume later feature, or clicking the link to the survey. I have tested that across multiple browsers / computers with clear cache / sessions each time. Does anyone have an idea about why these duplicates are occurring? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :)

The topic has been locked.
More
2 years 3 months ago #222706 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Duplicate empty responses
From my experiences over the years these entries are quite normal.
I had such entries in my chained surveys, where different software was used between two LimeSurvey surveys.

There are certain situations where people e.g. get dropped out and reenter the survey link. Mostly you can recognized the "real" survey. Cleaning and merging the data can be a bit of a pain, but it's seldom that you end up with more than one complete answerset with the same token.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • joeschwab
  • joeschwab's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #222742 by joeschwab
Replied by joeschwab on topic Duplicate empty responses
Thanks for this. We havent noticed this in previous surveys, but its helpful to know you have had this same experience.

I noticed "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token:" is set to "off". I am wondering if turning this on might prevent duplicates, but have not changed this setting because our survey is live, and i don't want to introduce a new problem.

Do you have experience with the "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token:" setting?
More
2 years 3 months ago #222747 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Duplicate empty responses

Do you have experience with the "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token:" setting?

Not sure experience will help cause many issues and effects are bound to certain versions of LimeSurvey.

The setting has two different effects depending on how the answer persistence is set and if all chained surveys have tokens activated.
And how many times a survey can be entered. 

With your current setup, what happens if a respondent drops out in the second survey, and tries using the surveylink (first survey) to enter the survey again?
If the token is set to one usage, the first survey would no longer allow the respondent to enter the survey again, because survey one is already completed.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 3 months ago #222751 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Duplicate empty responses

Answer persistence on or off ?
Else best solution to have One line by token is

Answer persistence ON
Allow multiple : OFF

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose