Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Changing default language of a survey

• Omti90
  • Omti90's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #221040 by Omti90
Hello,

I'm creating a survey for research teams in Germany, Austria, France and Great Britain using largely the same questions and translations everywhere. I have created the survey with the default language of German, but this means error messages are also displayed in German. This is highly suboptimal for the survey deployment in France and Great Britain.

As a result I would like to create copies of the original survey for France and Great Britain, where I can change the default language to French or English.

There seem to be suggestions for replacing the language of questions ( forums.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issue...ult-language?start=0 ), but well I already have the translations and I'd really like to keep them. I really only need to change which language is recognised as default.

How can I do this? Optimally I don't need to play with the SQL database, since I'm not the overall admin since it's hosted by the university. If it's possible to do so, I'd like to do it with the .lss file.

Thank you very much
Omti90
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 6 months ago #221047 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Changing default language of a survey
?
No : error message take the current language

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Omti90
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #221057 by Omti90
Replied by Omti90 on topic Changing default language of a survey
I don't think so. My colleague did the survey in French, but got a German timeout message:
[img

translation wrote: We're sorry, but your session has timed out. Either you have been inactive for too long, you have cookies deactivated or there was a problem with your connection. Please contact for further information (my  e-mail adress)

I figure it's using the default language to generate those, unless this isn't a limesurvey thing but something caused by our server? It does look vaguely limesurvey-y though.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Omti90.
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 6 months ago #221069 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Changing default language of a survey
Oh : session time out issue : right, since current language is save in session …

then : reset to default lanquage …

A way to update the primary language :
1. Export lss
2. Open with a real text editor
3. Search for survey/language and additional_languages
4. Update here.

You can use TSV export with near samle update

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omti90
  • Omti90
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #221081 by Omti90
Replied by Omti90 on topic Changing default language of a survey
Thank you, that worked :)

In case someone is confused where to find the right line, it's pretty much at the bottom of the document. For me the relevant lines looked like this:
Code:
<language><![CDATA[fr]]></language>
<additional_languages><![CDATA[ar bg en de it sr-Latn tr]]></additional_languages>

If you're in a similar position as I (using this example), you just need to replace the fr (in the language line) with one of the other languages from the additional_languages line you want. (And put the fr into the additional_languages line, while removing the new default language from that line)

You'll probably want to search for the "additional_languages" since you'll find the language line in literally every question.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Omti90.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose