Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities

• wanda0123456
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #156364 by wanda0123456
Replied by wanda0123456 on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
I am a new member. What's in the new, please introduce me.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 7 months ago #158601 by gchaix
I'd like to share with you all a compliment we received regarding the screen reader compatibility.

We are working with a call center that primarily employs people who are blind or partially-sighted. The call center staff is making follow-up calls to survey recipients and filling out the participant's answers on LimeSurvey using a screen reader (JAWS I believe) while on the phone. After extensively reviewing the survey and talking with her team, the call center team lead made a point of complimenting us, saying that this was the first time a client's data entry system worked perfectly for them and their screen readers. According to her there are always problems - so they were pleasantly surprised at how well LimeSurvey worked. She also specifically mentioned how happy they were with how the keyboard shortcuts were easy to find and use.

So ... well-done accessibility team! Kudos to you all. :-)
More
5 years 2 months ago #179687 by tamsiewest
Replied by tamsiewest on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
Our surveys have been flagged as non-508 compliant because of empty html label tags. We are running version 2.73 (waiting to change until the 4.0 roll-out). I believe the flag may have occurred because of a missing label closing tab (/label), or perhaps because the div is after the label-for opening tag. My problem is that I cannot figure out which file generates the following html rendition of my question page:

<!-- PRESENT THE QUESTIONS (in SurveyRunTime )-->
<!-- Question-->
<div id="question17902" class="list-radio mandatory col-xs-12 question-container">
<!-- Question title-->
<div class="row question-wrapper question-title-container">
<div class="col-sm-12 questiontext">
<div class="qnumcode question-text">
<span class="text-danger asterisk">

I1 Please tell us whether you are a faculty/staff member, a parent, a student, a community member, or a district staff member.
</div>
</div>
</div>
<!-- Question valid message-->
<!-- <div class="row question-wrapper"> <div class="col-sm-12 questionvalidcontainer"> <div class="text-info questionhelp " role="alert" id="vmsg_17902" > <div id='vmsg_17902_default' class='em_default emtip '> <span class='fa fa-exclamation-circle' aria-hidden="true"></span> Choose one of the following answers</div> </div> </div> </div>-->
<!-- Answer-->
<div class="row question-wrapper answer-container">
<div class="col-sm-12 answer">
<!-- List Radio-->
<!-- answer-->
<div class="list-unstyled radio-list answers-list">
<!-- answer_row-->
<div id="javatbd943542X703X17902I101" class="col-xs-12 form-group answer-item radio-item radio">
<input class="radio" type="radio" value="I101" name="943542X703X17902" id="answer943542X703X17902sI101" onclick="if (document.getElementById('answer943542X703X17902othertext') != null) document.getElementById('answer943542X703X17902othertext').value='';checkconditions(this.value, this.name, this.type)" aria-labelledby="label-answer943542X703X17902sI101">
<label for="answer943542X703X17902sI101" class="control-label radio-label">
<!-- The label text is provided inside a div, so final user can add paragraph, div, or whatever he wants in the subquestion text This field is related to the input thanks to attribute aria-labelledby-->
<div class="label-text label-clickable" id="label-answer943542X703X17902sI101">
Faculty/Staff Member
</div>
</div>
<!-- end of answer_row-->
<!-- answer_row-->

Can someone please point me to the right file to modify, or give me some other ideas on how to make these labels 508 compliant? 159.65.191.94/ls/index.php/943542?lang=en is a link to the survey in question.

Thank you.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 2 months ago #179688 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities

tamsiewest wrote: …
We are running version 2.73 (waiting to change until the 4.0 roll-out).

2.73 have a lot of a11y issue, it's one reason i work to improve totally a11y on 3.X.

Currently, my advice
- You are OK to check for specific issues in your instance : use the last 3.X version , and you can try gitlab.com/SondagesPro/SurveyThemes/skelvanilla
- You want a really stable version workinh on php5.6 : get github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-Sondag...ree/2.06_SondagesPro + gitlab.com/SondagesPro/coreAndTools/moreAccessibility plugin , and gitlab.com/SondagesPro/SurveyThemes/SkeletonQuest for template

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
5 years 2 months ago #179691 by tamsiewest
Replied by tamsiewest on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
Thank you for your prompt reply. We are not in a position at this time to change Limesurvey versions, as we have multiple surveys running or about to run. We have attempted to move to 3.0 in the past and were not happy with the results. Can you tell me what file in our current installation needs to be modified to add the /label tag?
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #181838 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
SkelVanilla is a survey theme for LimeSurvey 3 and up.
It add a11y related feature

1. Usage of aria-hidden and hidden attribute for relevance ( and aria-live polite when it's updated)
2. Usage of aria-live (polite) for any HTML updated
3. Adding help and tips in aria-described-by
4. Usage of validity (setCustomValidity) for question with input error.
5. Adding error on title when the page have error when loaded.

More to come.

Please try and report issue's on gitlab repo (or framagit repo if you can not access to gitlab).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
4 years 4 months ago #191350 by rachellerena
Replied by rachellerena on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
Hello team!
This thread has not seen any traffic in over 8 months. Is this the best way to follow the a11y of LimeSurvey related to WCAG?
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 4 months ago #191367 by DenisChenu
No : best way is to report issue about a11y

More
4 years 4 months ago #191433 by rachellerena
Replied by rachellerena on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
My overall question is that our respondents will come from all abilities. We will need to report to accessibility teams on the availability of using LimeSurvey for them. However, I do not see any pages or wikis or anything that report on how accessible the tool is for admins or for respondents. Or, if it is more accessible in some modes versus others. E.g. screen readers, keyboard only, low vision, etc.

This is what I am looking for. I cannot just have every single user with an issue suddenly start coming here to submit bug requests. We don't have any bugs. We want to know the accessibility level of the application please.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #202232 by DenisChenu

rachellerena wrote: My overall question is that our respondents will come from all abilities. We will need to report to accessibility teams on the availability of using LimeSurvey for them. However, I do not see any pages or wikis or anything that report on how accessible the tool is for admins or for respondents. Or, if it is more accessible in some modes versus others. E.g. screen readers, keyboard only, low vision, etc.

This is what I am looking for. I cannot just have every single user with an issue suddenly start coming here to submit bug requests. We don't have any bugs. We want to know the accessibility level of the application please.

Currently : no team offered a complete accessibility report.

We offer LimeSurvey freely and don't have money to pay such report

Sorry …

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #202233 by DenisChenu

More
3 years 7 months ago #205514 by rachellerena
We test all of our enterprise applications with a top a11y community recommended FREE tool. Currently, we use the SiteImprove plug-in for Chrome. It would be helpful if this could be applied before new releases are deployed.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose