Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Coding with numerical scale and further answer options

• CUllrich
  • CUllrich's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #229741 by CUllrich
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: Version 3.23.1+200825
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:

==============
Hello all,
I am interested in the correct coding in order to have the right format for SPSS.
I have already read that it makes sense to use numerical codes, e.g. 1 to 5, for single answers and matrix questions. That is exactly what I would like to do.
I have only attached to my scale: "How important do you think.... is" and then a matrix question and answer options from very important=1 to not important=5. In addition, I have two further answer options "I cannot say" AND "should not be used".  Since the participants can only give one evaluation, I would like to be able to calculate a mean value, for example, if they consider the product important with the numerical coding. Of course, the last two answer options should not be included in this scale. So the scale goes from 1 to 5, or you tick one of the other two answers. How should I then code the last two answer options? (If I simply continue to code numerically) will I get a wrong mean value? Or can I specify in SPSS afterwards which answers should be included in the calculation of the mean? Or should/could I code the answer options differently within a matrix question? (e.g. 1 to 5) and (A6 and A7)? I hope I have made it clear what I mean, can someone please help me?
Many thanks and best regards, Cora

The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 9 months ago #229743 by Joffm
Please, do NOT cross post.

You asked this in the German part, too.
And you got an answer.

So this thread can be closed.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: CUllrich
  • holch
More
1 year 9 months ago #229748 by holch
I'll be closing this post then.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose