Restrict public registration to certain email domains (bounty)

More
3 years 6 months ago #147806 by felixvd
Use case: I am running a student council election and I want to restrict the votes to one per student. I know that all students have an email address of a format "*@student.uni.edu", but not each student's email address.

The solution is one of these:

1) Allow public registration, but only for email addresses that match a certain pattern / regex.

2) Run a separate daemon that sends requests to register/invite new email addresses to the survey.

I ended up implementing the second solution on SurveyMonkey, but the first solution would have definitely been easier. We will run the election again in half a year, so I will prefer to give the money to whoever pushes this feature. An integrated email domain check would really make a good tool for identity verification in institutions.

Cheers
The topic has been locked.
LimeSurvey Partners
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #147808 by DenisChenu
Hi,

I think best is to do a little plugin using beforeRegister .
In this plugin : test the domain . If the domain exist (not empty, set etc ...) name is not "student.uni.edu" => add an error 'Only user with student.uni.edu can register'.

Seems not a really great task , one day work maximum.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development . I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by DenisChenu.
The topic has been locked.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now