Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

PJAX Perspective (configurations, container target, disable/enable, modify, etc)

• cheeseburger
  • cheeseburger's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #210601 by cheeseburger
Hi, I searched for a few days and performed various tests but still am compelled to inquire with the group:

With regards to AJAX/PJAX usage in LS, what is the current status for the following?
  • Is there no longer an option to choose to use or not use AJAX in multiscreen surveys? There used to be a slider for the setting or there was a value you could place in the theme options advanced text field. 
  • Does it by default now use PJAX always? 
  • What is the container (the unique selector in the DOM) used for PJAX to load the dynamic page-swapping contents? 
  • Can the container be modified (Can we limit it to a different unique selector)?
  • When performing an order-of-execution test, I placed various console.log scripts to attempt to find areas of the DOM that remain after clicking NEXT in a multiscreen survey. However I was never able to find a location that wasn't replaced. I'm hopeful that knowing some more about the above items, will help inform this item. My goal is to be able to have AJAX/PJAX replace content traversing deeper into the DOM vs replacing the entire page contents. 
Thanks for your help!

Current version of LS: Version 3.25.7+210113
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 months ago #210607 by tpartner
AJAX/PJAX has been disabled - it caused far too many issues.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210609 by cheeseburger
If we wanted to retain a value from question to question, what method does the community use? For example, if we had used AJAX, I would simply write to some JS vars outside of the container that AJAX would load the content into. I see we have the ability to use JS with each question if XSS is disabled but am trying to get around that as well as trying to find a solution without modifying any PHP files. Thanks for the update about AJAX/PJAX and appreciate any additional info.

One thing to note: I do see ajaxify and pjax still being loaded in my browser network inspector.

Thanks again!
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
3 years 2 months ago #210611 by tpartner
Can't you use Expression Manager to carry the values through the survey?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210612 by cheeseburger
I can utilize EM within a question's contents, inside of an equation type of question, and in the various sidebar validation/relevance fields. I believe I attempted to utilize it within the theme's code but had challenges (I will re-run a test and confirm).

For the current request from the client, the solution appears to be best if I can communicate between javascript and EM but I can't seem to perform that function without disabling XSS.

I can run some more tests in order to provide a more accurate definition of where the "walls" appear. And will try to spare you from the extraneous details of the end goal, but will also include that after I run some more tests. Thank you for you help.
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
3 years 2 months ago #210613 by tpartner
Where are you placing the JS?

If it's in custom.js, no, there is no access to EM.

If it's in a theme TWIG file, you can access EM variables with {{ processString('{EM_Variable}') }}.

For example:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">  
  $(document).on('ready',function(){
    console.log("Q1: {{ processString('{Q1_SQ001}') }}");
    });
</script>

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210614 by cheeseburger
This just turned my frown upside down! I will test this next. Thank you!
  • cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210615 by cheeseburger
Quick thought: The challenge of having JS and EM communicate - and to be able to access fields is mostly likely solved by your wonderful tip. The remaining challenge is for me to retain a value (within a queue) to perform some calculations. If the entire page didn't refresh its contents, I would usually place global vars in a piece of the DOM that isnt replaced. Is the workaround, to create hidden questions and to store the values within them as if they were variables? Or is there a method to store them using EM? Thanks
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
3 years 2 months ago #210616 by tpartner
EM can only store variables in questions (hidden or not) - usually stored in equation type questions. So, if you can not access the value(s) directly from existing survey questions (as in my example), yes, you will need to use EM to load hidden questions.

Another tact I have taken to carry JS variables from page to page is to load them into browser local storage. Of course, this only works if the respondent stays in the same browser. I quite often use that trick to synchronize answer order in multiple questions with randomly shown answers, etc.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

The following user(s) said Thank You: cheeseburger
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 months ago #210623 by DenisChenu
You can extend ExpresssionManager in 4.X version.
Adding function and variables are possible.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210649 by cheeseburger
Oooh this is exciting! Looking fwd to when we upgrade to v4. Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll provide an update once I progress with your suggestions for future users to benefit as well. Thanks
  • cheeseburger
More
3 years 2 months ago #210660 by cheeseburger
Interesting observation: When using your (Tony's) method to access vals of a question from within a TWIG file, I do get the expected results until I am on the actual question. To clarify: I have three question groups. I am placing the question from which I want to get its value in the second of three groups (the middle). When I am on the first screen (group) or 3rd screen, the value displays as just the value. This is good. But when viewing the same code when I am actually on the second screen (second group) where the question is located, I receive the following:

<span id='LEMtailor_Q_94_2'>30</span>

Is this the standard behavior?
Thanks

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose