Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Guidance on building a dashboard for one survey - how to access responses

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #150980 by jelo

holch wrote: I think today Limesurvey has everything that you need when you want to create your own dashboard. With access to the database you can basically do whatever you want with the data.

Offering a usermanagement for reports/dashboard would be nice. Could be a page with html editor like when creating a question page. You could add javascript and html. Second step would be exposing data via an interface. That would be a lot more stable than accessing via MySQL directly via a thirdparty tool. Allowing public report via a customized link with usermanagement to limit access.
Reporting is more cruical than dashboard. Since LimeSurvey is going SaaS first, the competition in reporting and dashboard is no longer limited to open source. In SaaS surveyspace nobody cares about opensource.

A usermanagement around shiny server or other html/js tools sound like a viable step.
Is the usermanagment accessible via plugin api? Adding own permission sets isn't possible, is it?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #151062 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote: ...
A usermanagement around shiny server or other html/js tools sound like a viable step.
Is the usermanagment accessible via plugin api? Adding own permission sets isn't possible, is it?

In fact : remote control API use existing Permission of limesurvey, then use the same user on RC tool can be a solution.

The RC tool for login use the RC API login system.

Maybe ;)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #151081 by jelo

driz wrote: With the amount of dashboard tools out there, I am not sure whether LS needs to provide this functionality.

There is no mission statement, in which market LimeSurvey wants to play a role. LimeSurvey as a SaaS seems to play a more important role that OnPremise. The redesign of the Website and the new pricing seems to confirm that.
In the SaaS space open source is less relevant for the buyer. So the competition is bigger and tougher.
E.g. SurveyGizmo offers a lot for 1,500 USD per year. No complete dashboard, but the integration of R scripts and Chartlibs into the reporting is very nice. help.surveygizmo.com/help/run-r-scripts-in-reports

• holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151263 by holch
R-Scripts seem to be only available in the "market research" package for $ 1500. Yet with all it includes it looks pretty good (offline surveys, reports, crosstabs, r, Choice-Based Conjoint, Max-Diff, Highlighter, Semantic Differential, Heat Maps, Video/Audio Sentiment, Card Sorting).

If you cobine the LS package plus offlinesurveys, you are also basically getting there.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151271 by jelo

holch wrote: If you cobine the LS package plus offlinesurveys, you are also basically getting there.

This "basically" turns into hours of workarounds.The different SaaS offers in the surveyspace are lowering the prices over time. The no-user-limit might be not enough for LimeSurvey since often the useraccount is shared in companies (I know some companies which are doing that). So you compete often with the one user price. Think about the time savings of having a skip feature. Can cost you hours in LimeSurvey and minutes in the competition. And that is only one feature. The manual is explaining the pro and cons of skip/relevance logic quite nicely
help.surveygizmo.com/help/set-up-skip-logic

• holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #151278 by holch
That is exactly what I am saying. If you pay the biggest commercial package from Limeservice AND the offlinesurveys app, then you pay around 1300 Euros, which is probably around or above the 1500 Dollars for the "market research" package.
Advantages LS:
- More users
- The arguments "own server" and "control over data" doesn't work with the SAAS model
Advantages SG:
- unlimited responses (?)
- reporting
- some question types that LS doesn't have
- Conjoint, max diff
- ?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by holch.
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151282 by jelo

holch wrote: That is exactly what I am saying.

Ok, you wrote "basically getting there". Featurewise or moneywise was the question for me ;-)

• holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151283 by holch
It was meant moneywise. Featurewise I can't really compare, because I haven't seen the other offering yet.

But the discussion is getting off topic, I guess.

• driz
  • driz's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151335 by driz
For anyone else reading this later also trying to do the same thing, LimeSurvey builds a table in your database for each survey. This table is built either when you activate the survey or when you receive the first response to the survey. The table is called "ls_survey_******", replace the asterisks with your survey ID. Your survey ID can be found in the survey list in the admin of LS, or in the link to the survey (the 6 or so numbers).

The question column headers seem to have the following labelling system:

_____X___X_____

The first part holds your survey ID, the second part I assume the group ID and possible the last part the question ID. I haven't figured this out completely yet.
  • driz
  • driz's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151336 by driz
A quick update for those interested:

The second part of the column header in the survey responses table is indeed the group ID (gid in the ls_questions table).

The third part either is the question id (qid in the ls_questions table), when the question has no parent_qid. I assume this is the case for full text questions for example, but maybe any question that is not an array and that doesn't have sub-questions.

For those questions that do have multiple sub-questions (e.g. array question), the last part consists of the parent_qid and the "title" (from the ls_questions table). I assume this last bit is the identifier of the sub-question.

Happy to be corrected by anyone in the know, these are just guesses based on the data in my database.
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #151342 by jelo
You might check the old and new database structures here:
manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_1.8_dat...layout_documentation

There was a newer diagram posted in the Spanish section.
See attachment here:
www.limesurvey.org/forum/spanish-forum/1...ntidad-de-limesurvey

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by jelo.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #151819 by DenisChenu
About "Response table" : i think it's better to use a 'false' table export with ngood header.

UYou can use export as json or do your own export : framagit.org/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-plugi.../jsonPivotWriter.php for an example

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose